1997 hard cold start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry 1997 hard cold start

Replaced GPR & GPS and it takes about 3-5 cycles turning key on and off before it will start when cold. When it does start there is a big plume of white smoke. Any ideas? Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Serving Our Country!

possible uvch or your compression is low. Just an idea i am sure a tech should come along soon with more insite. There are a tone of guys here with good advice.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That's the test every mechanic told me to do, for a quick check on Compression. I'd spend the $150 to get it looked at.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Ok. Well, while your compression is most likely not where it was when the motor was new, I doubt it's that low. How many miles on motor? Yes, you could spend $150 to have your compression tested, or you could spend $30 on a manual, and $45 on a compression tester, and do it yourself. Or, if you really think your compression is THAT low, then just go to a shop and have your top end rebuilt. Personally, unless you've got well over 350K miles, I highly doubt your compression would be that low, unless the motor got dusted really bad.

What GPR did you install? Have you checked your output voltage on the new GPR? It is possible to get new parts that are bad.

mike
Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 AM

Talking Hard Cold Start Exactly

Did you get this fixed? If not check to see if your relay is activating and for how long. Try unplugging your Oil Temp Sensor on the back ot the HPOP. I had the same symptoms and the mechanic showed me this. I know the GPR's are a problem but this problem with the OT Sensor should be included in the troubleshooting dialog more. Just a thought.
Old 11-16-2009, 03:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcrane1 View Post
Did you get this fixed? If not check to see if your relay is activating and for how long. Try unplugging your Oil Temp Sensor on the back ot the HPOP. I had the same symptoms and the mechanic showed me this. I know the GPR's are a problem but this problem with the OT Sensor should be included in the troubleshooting dialog more. Just a thought.
so if you unplug the oil temp sensor what will that cause or what problem does that isolate?
Old 11-16-2009, 05:27 AM

Thumbs up Oil Temp Sensor

The way the mechanic explained it (also credit to cndrm on this site):
The GP's are controlled ultimately by the PCM. The PCM takes data from the Baro sensor, and the oil temp sensor, and determines how long to open the GPR (to send power to the GP's) for. So, in theory, if either the Baro sensor, or the Oil temp sensor were bad, then the whole system would not work correctly.

If when the dealer unplugged the oil temp sensor, and the GPR cycled regularly, and the GP's worked fine, then I would agree that your Oil Temp sensor is poo, and needs to be replaced.

Your problem I think, IS being caused by the oil temp sensor. If it's sending bad data to the PCM, then the PCM won't actuate the GPR for the correct amount of time. Change out the OTS, and go from there.

So far this has been the case as it has started everytime without being plugged in and it is getting colder here at night. 20's and below.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 AM

Cool OTS

As a side note the new sensor came with a new connector and pigtail.
Maybe Ford knew!?
Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Will a snap-on scan tool be able to check cam sensors and oil temp sensors. I have a 96 7.3 very hard to start cold, gpr tests good, glow plugs an harness new, enigne sounds like it has no compression, cranks very fast, and times only sounds lke it wants to start when letting off of the key, when it finally does start, ruins fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.