Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Where is my oil going?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  7.3 powerchoke 
#1 ·
First off I would like to say I am new. . . . So with that being said I must apologize if this has already been covered. I tried searching and could not find anything related.

I have an early 1999 F350 Powerstroke dually. The truck has roughly 240,000 on the odometer and is still going. However, I noticed the other day I was approximately 7 quarts low. I am very good about checking my oil regularly and with consistence. I drove it half the day and the engine started to pulsate and became unresponsive through the throttle. The engine cut out and died. I did not have a check engine light on at the time. I coasted to a stop in a safe area and let it sit for 10 minutes. I checked the dipstick and there was no oil to be found on it. I looked underneath the truck and could not locate where 7 quarts of oil may have slipped out. I do have some oil leaks but nothing of that magnitude. I ultimately had AAA tow my truck back home.

The next day I put approximately 12 quarts of oil in the truck again. I got underneath the truck and checked all around and wiped off any existing oil. I check the intake valley and it was bone dry. I did notice that my water pump was leaking though. I started the truck which took for ever. While it was running (sounded normal) I crawled underneath and could not locate a river of oil coming out. In fact all of the areas that I had wiped off was bone dry. I looked at the tail pipe for smoke but after the initial start up ( some white smoke) there was none.

The truck is taking a little longer to start now and my oil is vanishing into thin air. I am baffled as to what is going on. Does anyone have some suggestions? I have recently put more into the truck than it is worth so I am in for the long haul.

See less See more
#2 ·
Is your coolant gaining? Like oil going into the radiator? should be a murky brown if your losing that much oil. Or what about your intercooler? Is it full of oil?

You said you checked exhaust, put a piece of paper up to the pipe and see if it collects moisture. Those are really the only places it could go. Unless onto the ground.

Also you should post this in the 1999+ 7.3L section since yours is a new body style not an old being an e99.

Reactions: Ace442
#3 ·
Most likely you have a failed injector O-ring or a bad injector itself... first thing you should do is pull the fuel filter out and check for oil.. if there is oil in the fuel filter and/or housing, you have a bad injector O-ring... It most likely will be a cheap fix.. the good thing about these HEUI motors is if the HPOP cannot get oil the engine will shut off before serious engine damage occurs from oil starvation.. :) So take a look at the fuel filter

Reactions: Ace442
#6 ·
Update:

Thank you for the responses.

After deep thought I have decided to do a complete engine replacement. I will be doing a Ford factory drop in 7.3. I am stuck at a point though and hopefully can get some incite. I have an E99 7.3 and I am trying to decide to upgrade to the late 99 7.3 or jump into the 2000's 7.3. If I go either route I am sure I'll have to change out several items. Is anyone aware of what exactly needs to be done to accomplish this? I also have thought about going to the cold weather package on the engine with dual alternators. What would need to be done to accomplish this or is this even an option?

Thank you for the help as I need all that I can get....

#8 ·
Thank you for the responses.

After deep thought I have decided to do a complete engine replacement. I will be doing a Ford factory drop in 7.3. I am stuck at a point though and hopefully can get some incite. I have an E99 7.3 and I am trying to decide to upgrade to the late 99 7.3 or jump into the 2000's 7.3. If I go either route I am sure I'll have to change out several items. Is anyone aware of what exactly needs to be done to accomplish this? I also have thought about going to the cold weather package on the engine with dual alternators. What would need to be done to accomplish this or is this even an option?

Thank you for the help as I need all that I can get....
Do a black mamba 7.3 drop in crate engine ;) (reliable 400 HP of fun)

#7 ·
I didnt put 2 n 2 together as I commented on your other post. Check the compression of each cylinder. I highly doubt your engine is bad. I would just install new injectors, maybe slightly bigger for some more power, drain the fuel tank, and call it a day. Then continue to enjoy driving the truck.

Ive ran 100's of used oil through my trucks life and have 460k on her, and its also an E99.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.