1997 PSD loses power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 PSD loses power

My truck randomly loses power while I am driving down the road. It usually happens when I step on the gas pedal while towing my 5000lb trailer but not always. It will do it while I am not towing as well. As the RMPs start to climb to 2000 - 2500 range it will just seems to lose all power and the RPMs will drop way down. After I lay off of the pedal I can slowly get it to accelerate but it will cut out again as the RPMs increase. It has never completely died and it does not through any codes.

I bought it about a month ago and it has a complete Banks system on it. (power mod, trans mod, intercooler, and cold air intake.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Same exact problem!! Help!!

Same exact problem.... 97 F350 crew cab 7.3L stock with banks guage cluster, air bags, and TS Performance 6 position chip.... loses power at higher RPM's and eventually stalls.... if I kill it in neutral and coast for a minute, it buys me time... then restart and throw back into drive! This actually works... alternatively you pull over and let it sit for a minute before you start it back up again.... I bought it used with 94k miles.. loss of cruise control seems to be in sync with the problem... when I'm having this problem more often, the cruise control doesn't work at all... first had the CPS replaced by Ford... didn't fix it.... then I changed the oil which seemed to fix the problem for a month or so... then replaced the fuel filter and air filter... Problem eventually came back and cruise control loss started to manifest..... and then the vacuum pump finally exploded... pulley went loose and ****ed a bit and the pump exploded out the back... I replaced the vacuum pump and pulleys which seemed to fix the problem for about a month or so.... and now it's back.

I think that the vacuum system is involved here... initially I thought that the issue was the CPS.... the symptoms are very similar to the problems I've had with my 2003 7.3L Excursion, but I had that replaced... I'm seeing comments that the replacement CPS units are not all they are cracked up to be.... perhaps I should look at getting another replacement and putting it in myself?

What do you think fellas?

Aaron
Old 08-25-2009, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Another note to add... The problem occurs usually at around 60 mph or higher and RPM's of around 2500 or so... Boost falls off on the guage and engine sputters as if it is a loss of fuel... the fall off continues and the vehicle loses all power until you pull over.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Exhaust Brake

Forgot to mention that there is an exhaust brake installed on my F-350
Old 08-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are your fuel and air filters fresh? Either one being fouled will not allow the truck to run at those RPM's. It uses alot of both at 2500.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Both fresh... fuel filter needed tightening twice d/t fuel smell...
Old 08-28-2009, 08:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I started having a similar problem last night, I was driving home and my service engine light came on for about 3 seconds then went off... then 2 minutes later it came back on again and stayed on, when i went to accelerate nothing happened and when i stepped on the brake the service engine light turned off and i had acceleration again.. i just bought the truck about a month ago it has never done anything like that before.. the cruise control hasnt worked since i bought it if that means anything. please help anyone? any recalls i should be aware of?!
Old 08-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I am thinking a weak HPOP. The fact that is in higher rpms makes me think that. The only think is it would modt likely throw a code.

jprice, I reccomend taking off the Banks Transcommand if thats what you mean by banks trans mod. I personally had it fry 2 of my transmissions and my tranny guy confirmed that the banks module was the whole problem. It makes the line pressures to high. Also many guys with tons of knowledge and experience in the diesel world say it is terrible for the transmission.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

hi guys,

i have a 1997 7.3 td that wont rev over 2500 for the most part, and when i try to drive, i have a top speed of 37 mph! i hooked a scanner, and had no codes but i was reading exhaust backpressure of 46 psi when it "flattens" out at 2500 rpm.

any ideas?
Old 09-05-2009, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Gentlemen,

My truck's been parked for 2 weeks now... I put in ANOTHER CPS, and I checked the IPR and brakes.... all is ok... but the truck is still stalling. Any ideas.... the truck loses power and stalls, but no codes are ever thrown.... seems like a loss of fuel to the system. I'm gonna get under the hood tonight.... where should I look? What should I check out?

Thanks,

Aaron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.