Frontend Not Disengaging - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Frontend Not Disengaging

I bought a 1997 Ford F250 7.3 Powerstroke a few days ago and I'm wondering why my front driveshaft and axles do not turn freely in 2wd. The truck is equipped with the autolocking hubs, so no manual settings I guess? What's weird is when you pick the front of the truck up, you can roll the front wheels without turning the axle or driveshaft. But when I wen to the driveshaft to turn it, it was hardtop move to begin with, then wheni got it rolling it rolled the left wheel forward for a while, then the right engaged in reverse? Back and forth some more, and they both started forward. Then go to the wheels to turn them and its like they unlock off the axle (Btw, wheels feel like they're a little tough to turn, not sure if brakes or what).Is this the autolocking hubs sensing driveshaft movement? While on the ground, the front axle and driveshaft do not roll when in 2wd, but it also doesn't spin freely by hand like I believe it should. I'm wondering if it's in these hubs or somewhere else. I know nothing about it, therefore I'm not wanting to tear off into it. However, can someone give me a little advice? If the front end is locked together, am I tearing the truck up? The front tires are a little chopped up, so I have no clue how long it has been like this. Maybe its just the weight of the truck that made them that way? Please help me asap, I would appreciate it. Maybe someone has had this issue or a write up on this. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It sounds normal. There is no vacuum actuating the hubs like on the 99+, they just lock after you engage the drive shaft and roll forward a bit. My guess for the tires getting chopped up is alignment. The D50 TTB in the OBS F-250 is notorious for causing alignment issues.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So what you're saying is, if the axle and driveshaft is sitting still in 2wd while the front wheels are rolling, it is fine. And basically me trying to spin the driveshaft freely like a truck with manual hubs isn't possible? Like when I go to turn the driveshaft, the front hubs are doing their job and engaging and not letting the shaft spin free? I wanna pick it up again today and make sure all is unlocked and the front wheels are spinning free. Then when I turn the driveshaft, the front should click in and start rolling. Should it be hard to spin the shaft I'm guessing because I am manually making the front wheels spin? Thanks!

Last edited by Kawaboy13; 06-23-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.