Transmission? or something else - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 06:35 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission? or something else

So I noticed a few weeks ago the truck doing a little jerk while driving. I'm not sure how to explain it but it sounds like a ugh ugh ugh then a nice pure. Today I really noticed it was in the area between 30-35 which seems like the place where it tends to do it all the time. Today if just seemed like it couldn't decide if it wanted to upshift or downshift, once I got over 40 it made up it's mind and shifted. It doesn't just happen at those speeds, I've felt it on the highway too. It seems like once everything is warm it doesn't happen anymore.
Anybody else experienced this or has it been talked about before. Thanks for any tips or pointers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2014, 04:02 PM

Okay, well it's in at the shop now. It only happens when it's cold so now she has to stay overnight so they can try and diagnose. They ran diagnostics on it and didn't get any codes back.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:35 AM

Well they were able to duplicate the problem, now it's into the tranny to figure it out. What the tech told me, was it's quirky shifting to 2 and 3rd, but then sometimes it wants to shift into 4th then back into 3rd or 2nd really quick. Almost like it can't make up it's mind. He said shifting into 4th around 25mph is odd also. He said he was able to get it to repeat itself a couple of times. I was referred to him buy my regular mechanic, by regular I mean the guy who works on all of my cars and we go off-roading together on a regular basis, and he know's his sh*t. So I have all the faith there, just looking for some thoughts on what the tranny guy has said.

He said it could be something as simple as bad seals. He said when it's cold they're not sealed correctly which is could be causing the problem. He said when it gets warm they seal and it runs fine. Does that sound right. One of the techs already drained some fluid and said he didn't see any shavings in it or small chunks of metal.

I'm hoping I caught this in time before it did any real damage.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what year truck, info etc?
Sorry if i missed it
Old 01-11-2014, 02:54 PM

Sorry, I didn't put any of that.

1996 F-350 pretty much stock, 6637 filter, turbo's been rebuilt??(previous owner statement), straight pipe. Automatic 4x4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.