Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Front manual locking hub replacement

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  dirtcrew51m 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first post here. Hoping this forum will be a good source for info as I start my Powerstroke ownership experience :)
My truck is a '97 F350 4x4, manual hubs. Among the MANY things the truck needs are new hubs. From what I've read its not an overly complicated job, but the truck is my daily driver at the moment, and I need to be able to be sure I can complete the work in one sitting since I'll be using the shop at my work, and I can't leave it disabled there longer than a weekend. Just wanted to see if anyone could give me a detailed breakdown of the procedure and what unique tools and additional parts I might need to get ahead of time. (I realize it's most likely already been covered, so a link to the thread would be great, alternatively).

Forgive my relative ignorance. I've got plenty of experience working on German cars for a living, but trucks are new territory for me. Thanks is advance.

#2 ·
If you are simply replacing manuals with manuals, it should be relatively straightforward and easily doable in one sitting. You will need the special socket (I used a NAPA 3246 on my 97) for the nut and a good sized torque wrench. I'll have to search for a post on it (I could write it up, but I don't have that much time to hen-peck it all out. Here's a link to installation instructions for Warn premiums: http://www.gowarn.com/aux_incl/pdf.ashx?pdf=WAR_38826_INS_1.pdf&line=WAR

Cheers!

#5 ·
Can you remove the hub guts temporarily and see if it stops? Cheers!

#6 ·
I just took the Ford locking hubs out of a Dana 60 last night. They were held in by 3 torx bolts and a snap ring. I dont think you need to remove the spindle nut (ie the special socket) unless you want to do rotors, wheel bearings etc......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.