rearend help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rearend help

I need to replace my pinion and carrier bearings in the rear differential. anyone have a write up or can walk me thru it. Also would anyone have the part numbers for this I went up to napa to get the bearings and they looked at me like i had no idea what i was talking about. Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Look for a master kit form Yukon. Replacing the bearings is going to require you to setup the gears so you will need shims, a clam shell bearing puller and a press. Check out pirate 4x4 for some good writeup on setting up gears.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:49 PM

thanks for the info. Im not sure where I should start beginning to start tearing this rearend down
Old 01-19-2013, 01:06 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Before you start, do some reading on what's needed. Setting up gears is not something most people can tackle by them selves. Just the bearing puller that you will need is over $300 for the cheep one. The basic process is to pull the shafts out, pull the cover, mark the bearing caps for side and direction, pull the caps off, pull the carrier out, unbolt the pinion and hammer it out making sure it doesn't take off and fall on the ground, pull the bearings, measure the shims. Install equivalent shims, press new pinion bearing into place, install pinion and set preload. Install bearings and shims on carrier, install carrier in diff, check gear pattern. Remove everything again, change shims, reinstall, check pattern, repeat as necessary till pattern is good or you go insane. Reinstall shafts, fill with oil and drive.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 PM

well thanks for the help. im actually thinking i might have to get it to a garage. im limited on time between work and school. so i cant be doing both and working on it.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordF250 View Post
thanks for the info. Im not sure where I should start beginning to start tearing this rearend down
I would seriously consider paying someone to do this. There really is some voo-doo to getting gears set up perfectly. I installed lockers and new gear-sets in both the front and rear diffs (similar to a Ford 9in.) of my Land Rover. I had the benefit of a large heated garage with a lift, the knowledge and help of a heavy equip./Porsche master mechanic, and every high-end tool or piece of equipment you could imagine. It took us two LONG days from start to finish. I thought I would have a big sense of accomplishment after we were finished, but all I could think was, why the hell did I not pay someone to do this for me!
MTCW - Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.