Oh my front end... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oh my front end...

So I am new to this forum since I just bought my 94.5 P/S just last week.

I bought some used tires (uniroyal a/t) and they were E rated and 10ply tire so I am figuring that they would be a good all around tire.

Now i have driven my truck for about 5 days with these tires on and I looked at them yesterday and noticed that my front tires are wearing on the outside and like bad... got the lumpy one lug different height thing going on.

Now my toe in is out... well in... 1/4 inch toed in, but I did that today so hopefully that will fix my problem, but incase it does not, what are some things I can do to help avoid destroying my tires? I have been reading some of the forums and there are suspension upgrades that help??

Also what is a good tire for these truck that can actually handle all the weight? I had an 87 idi and Loved that truck (which is the reason why I bought this one) but I had bfgoodrich km2 on there and they didnt have funny wear but they wore quick, like 60% tread after 7000km when they were rated for 60000km. So wanna find an all season tire that will actually hold up the front end of this pig without wearing right out after a year.

Any help and advice would be great, I am a commercial transport mechanic apprentice, and there are completely different issues, like tires, that i gotta figure out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm going to join the Dana 60 crown on this one.

Learn from me on this one PLEASE DO NOT invest any time or money into that front end. Steering is one thing, but the rest of it I do not feel is worth the effort-or money. I am currently rebuilding mine right now and discovered there are a few companies out there who sell BRAND NEW Dana 60s for around $1500. That is a price you CANT BEAT!

I am installing new tie rods and steering arms, as well as the inner axle U joints and wheel bearings. I have about $500 into it. Most of these parts will be usable on the D60, so not a total loss, but I wont get back the last 2 weekends fighting rusty bolts!

I'm using General Grabber AT2's on my truck right now (OEM size). They seem to be holding up pretty well.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:45 PM

if your tires are wearing like that you more thank likely have bad ball joints, if you replace them be sure to use moog or some other comparable higher end name brand dont buy the cheap china made ones for like $15 and if you do them i would consider doing the hub bearings while you are there, just my .02
Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Like the boys said if your truck is a F-250, you have the twin beam pile of horseshiat front end. Remove/cut out and install dana 60. Do not waste a cent on that front end. Its bolt in too. Just did this on my 97 f250, by far one of the best things i have done to my truck.
Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM

How hard is the d60 swap? I plan on doing the swap this spring and im wondering what I'll be up against.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

A TON easier than rebuilding a D50. There's ton of threads in here on the topic, but I think the best one is: How-To: Dana 60 Swap

Do some homework, wipe the cobwebs from the wallet and decide. Personally, look at my post above. The D50 isn't worth it. The only reason I did mine was because my truck is my daily and didn't have enough coin on hand to buy the BRAND NEW Dana 60.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 AM

If and when I do my D60 swap using an add a leaf to level out the front. I will be building a custom bumper so no issues with tire clearence. How tall a tire could I go. I have 285's now but was looking at a set of Interco's that are about 34" tall.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:44 PM

Oh my front end...

Do what ever you can to get rid of the twin I beam

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM

i have over 250,000 miles on my dana 50, its a great front end as long as your not off road a bunch I love this front end and have no problem with tire wear, i guess its all a matter of opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.