Opened another can of worms! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opened another can of worms!

Was planning or putting new pads, discs and rotors but ended up finding a wasted u joint, lower ball joint and pass. tie rod! I thought these rotors whould just slide off but I guess I'll need to remove the hubs too so I buttoned it back up for another day. I'm pretty good with bikes and have done u-joints for a rear but never the front on a 4wd. Is this easy? I tried looking on u-tube and searching here but can't find anything for this 1995 f250. Should I get a manual? Also any tips on what parts I should get or other things I should replace while i'm in there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 AM
Banned

Repost this into the General Discussion area.. not a lot of folks look at this part of the forum.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you need to pull the knuckle off, that includes everything...hub and all.

not a bad job, just its not as easy as it could be, you will need a spindle nut tool, and just a few wrenches and a little bit of time.

you then can slide the axle out, access and replace the universal.
The Following User Says Thank You to csdwarf11 For This Useful Post:
mikenj (01-29-2014)
Old 10-04-2012, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

From what i've read, moog seems to be the ball joints of choice? Anyone have a suggestion or part number for the u-joints for the axles? So they just slide out after removing the knuckle? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 PM

Location: In the midwest (I travel a lot so it varies between South Dakota and Nebraska and the midwest)
I don't think there will be any "sliding out" after you remove the knuckle. If there was, you would have other issues.

If you've replaced a rear U-joint before, don't sweat it. This is pretty much the same thing once you get it out and on a workbench. The main difference from what I remember is that the width of the U-joints and/or shafts that the U joints go into is a little smaller so when pounding them out with a hammer (if you don't have a press) and putting them in, it's a little tougher because there isn't much room to get the one side out once you do get the other side out. It's sort of a tight squeeze and they're hard to get out sideways even.

One thing to watch for is the seal that usually sits on the outside knuckle. If it is still good and you want to reuse it, be careful not to ruin it while beating on the u joints if you're just simply using a hammer to pound them out. If you have a press, that's the way to go because it will be a lot easier and will likely prevent you from ruining the shaft/joint and other parts. But if all you have is a hammer and something round to beat with, you need to be careful.

As far as replacing other parts, ummm...check the parts in the outer hub assembly for the inner part of the 4-wheel drive hubs. I can't remember what they're called now but there are usually some plastic rings with springs around them that sometimes went kapput and needed replaced. I can't remember exactly which position these were in as you were taking the 4 wheel drive hubs apart but they are there. As far as a manual, you don't need that if you can take things apart and put them back together. As someone mentioned, you will need that 4 prong spindle nut tool though. They vary in size so you'll have to figure out which one you'll need.

Of course the obvious one would be to inspect your inner and outer wheel bearings and seals and plan on replacing if needed but at the very least, repack them with grease as needed.

--Ummm...am I missing anything else here folks?--

In some cases, I've had u joints stuck so well that as I was pounding with a hammer, I had to do so much pounding before they finally came out that it ended up bending one side of the shaft a little bit. In which case, once I finally got the new u joints in, I couldn't put the clips in because they were pressed out too far past the clip area. So, I had to do some pounding back into place. (not good on a shaft/knuckle).

One thing to do is give it a little heat if you want but then you'll likely ruin the rubber seal. Most people replace these anyway but if you're trying to get by cheap, you may not want to replace this seal. Is it something you "should" do? Sure. You bet. But is it "mandatory" and a sin if you don't? No. Although it is designed to protect the hubs from getting more dirt and debris in the bearings and so on, I don't know how many of them I've seen that were 50,000 miles past when they "should" have been changed and the bearings and other stuff they were "supposed" to be protecting were fine. Heck, a lot of times, there really isn't much left of the rubber and it's sometimes gone anyway. But, if you've got the extra $6-$12 per seal to spend, just do it and be done with it.

I'm sure others could weigh in with their tricks for putting U joints in or getting them out but once you get the old ones out, take a small screwdriver or pick and clean out the grooves on the knuckle end of the shaft where the clips go. Usually they get rusted up or get other gunk in them and you'll have a hard time getting the new ones back in.

If you can, put a little grease inside of the U joint knuckle area where each U joint with slide into as well as maybe a little bit around each U joint end. This "should" allow you to get each joint in a whole lot easier without doing too much "beating" on the shaft which could end up ruining a U joint or shaft. Also, put a little grease on the outer edges of the seals too to lube em' up.

Outside of that, once you get one side in place and put the first clip in, get the other side in place and squared up and put the last clip in. After that, I usually tap the ends of the joint areas on the knuckles at the head (the rounded end part) where the U joint goes into. I also tap the shaft area a little further down too. This way, it will usually free up the U joint a little bit and allow the U joint the move back and forth and up and down freely. If there is resistance in the U joint, that's not good and will just end up prematurely failing. So, make sure you get them in right and make sure they move well once you get it done BEFORE you put them back into the truck.

(Maybe you already knew all of this stuff I just mentioned but just in case you didn't or someone else was following along, I thought I would detail it out).

Other than that, other than inspecting the shafts for cracks and so on, there really isn't much else to go over that is different than another U joint replacement. It's just that the room to get the U joints out in the front shafts is "usually" a little less so it's sometimes a little trickier to get them out and in without ruining U joints and/or shafts. But if you've had experience and success with replacing rear joints, I wouldn't worry about it.

I never liked U joint replacements because about 20% of the time, they were a pain in the *** to either get out or in (or worse both). And....I would say I ended up needing to get another U joint about 1 out of every 25 or 30 times due to not having a press to get them in and out the right way or enough patience to deal with them. (probably more the last one). I'm usually pretty good on patience but U joints and me are not friends.
The Following User Says Thank You to eldridge201 For This Useful Post:
mikenj (01-29-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.