Keep eating front ends - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Keep eating front ends

Two years ago I had my ball joints, u-joints, bearings, needle bearings, steering gear and tie rods replaced. I went with the moog ball joints, Ford bearings, O'reilly cheapo brand tie rods and a cardone reman gearbox. I took her in for an alignment last month and was told my ball joints, tie rods and steering gear are all bad. I can visibly see my tie rods are bad and it would appear my gearbox is leaking (though I think its one of the B nut connectors that screws into it) and I guess my ball joints went out too.

Today it reached critical level on the highway as my truck started jerking left and right with no steering wheel input (my steering has ALWAYS been loose as long as I can remember). I pulled over to make sure my pitman arm wasn't about to break off again like I did a few years ago and while everything looks like it won't quite explode, the bushing on my passenger side tie rod end is completely gone and my entire tie rod rotates a lot along its axis before the steering wheel affects it. I'm worried my passenger side wheel is able to wander a bit and pull me around and I worry about that finally snapping catasrophically on the highway.

Unfortuantely I am living in a hotel temporarily and a long way away from all my tools. I will be putting her in the shop ASAP but I want to do it right. What brands of all these components would your recommend? I am NOT impressed with Moog since they went to Chinese parts. I want to get some beefy steering components. Would any of yall even recommend going with a different type of steering setup given my lift and 35" tires?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need to make sure u grease up all those components what ever you get, the bars will rotate when u turn depending on the truck 89 alot and my 04 just a little
Old 09-25-2012, 10:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A guy told me about Ballistic forged tie rod ends which are rebuildable but I have not had time to find and research them. If you can afford it DynaTrac are the best ball joints IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.