Dana 60 swap binding when turning in 2wd - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dana 60 swap binding when turning in 2wd

Just did my dana 60 swap. Kingpin 60. Replaced axle u-joints,wheel bearings, brakes and hubs. I'm getting binding while turning like it's in 4wd. Does it while turning a little but gets worse at full crank. Anybody have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2012, 07:17 AM
Hee Hee, he's doing it...

Just throwing this out there, are your hubs manual and are you sure that they are unlocked?
Old 06-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Manual hubs and unlocked. Gonna go jack it up in a little bit and try to see what's going on.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:45 AM

I'm not real knowledgeable on manual locking hub front axles. Is there still an electro-magnetic switch in the front pumpkin?
Old 06-12-2012, 12:28 PM
the baconator

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
sounds to me like it is in 4wd a simple look will eliminate this.

big fuel - i've never seen a switch in a front diff
Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryknight View Post
big fuel - i've never seen a switch in a front diff
First I have not worked on Ford 4WD's, I was just throwing stuff out there to be checked. My 4WD knowledge comes from 4Runners.

Imports (like 4runners) and newer diff's use a large (softball-ish) electro-magnet to engage the pumpkin to accept power from the transfer case by way of the forward shaft and send power to the left and right wheel (no I don't mean a locker). If you have auto locking hubs they'll then auto-sync (or manual hubs) and allow the diff's power to transfer through the hubs to be applied to the wheel. Manual hubs would still be stronger then auto hubs but same idea. The electro-magnet switch would allow you to go into 4 wheel low but still be in 2WD (by disconnecting the connector) because the forward shaft wouldn't be able to transfer it's power to the diff. just free spin. If the Fords had this then I was going to say that the switch is stuck in the on position and trying to power the front wheels left to right.

KC97HD - This brings up another thought, when you bought the D60 was it used? Do you KNOW that it DOESN'T have a locker up front. Maybe your binding isn't the joint at the wheel but power trying to move left and right through the front end and locked hubs.

Last edited by BigFuel; 06-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 PM
spool up that turbo!!

It wouldn't matter if it had a locker if it has manual hubs sounds like the hubs aren't fully unlocking back up around a street corner a few times it usually gets them unlocked until you can get some new hubs

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 06-12-2012, 01:04 PM

To cover mine and terryknight's thoughts I would imagine that all you would need to do for a test is to remove the forward drive shaft, lift one wheel (pointed straight ahead and unlocked), and spin it:

-If the wheel rotates smoothly and the input yoke in the diff DOESN'T rotate with it, then the hub is working in the off position. Confirm with the other side.

-If the wheel rotates AND the diff's input yoke, then the hub is still engaged when you think that it's off. Confirm other side. With this I'd then look up to the transfer case as I do believe that the T-case should be in neutral-to-the-front-axle while in 2WD.

-If the wheel does not rotate then you likely have two issues, the hubs not disengaging and a locker in the diff and it's trying to send your input to the other side.

Last edited by BigFuel; 06-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 PM
the baconator

had no idea about the electric switch that's interesting. all my experiences have been with the big 3 front axles. haven't even messed with a jeep.

i thought of the locker idea, but unless the transfer case is engaged or the hubs are locked there should be no binding
Old 06-12-2012, 01:07 PM
the baconator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
-If the wheel does not rotate then you likely have a locker in the diff and it's trying to send your input to the other side.
if the hubs are not locked it doesn't matter. the wheel will spin freely. however if one hub is locked it can bind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.