Brake Issue (Yes I used the "search" function) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Brake Issue (Yes I used the "search" function)

So I tried the search function and couldn't find an answer, but this is kind of an odd one. It started a few weeks ago as I was driving to work (which is only about 4 miles away) but as I got to the bottom of the hill my neighborhood is on, it became clearly obvious to me that my brake pedal was not returning, but if I lifted it back up to it's normal position all the brakes would release and it would be fine. This went on for a couple days and then it stopped and it seemed like everything would be fine. Well then on Monday I was on my way to work again, and this time after I pushed the brakes the initial push was fine and normal, but any subsequent pushes were hard like there was no power assist and it felt like my stopping power was reduced because I had to really stand on it and even then it was not really stopping very well. about 1.5 years ago I had my master cylinder go bad and kill my booster also, so those are both relatively fresh. I checked my fluid level and it is just below the max mark on the reservoir. I also pulled the vac check valve and that's fine too. The vac pump is making good vacuum too, and that was replaced at the same time as the booster/master cylinder. The booster holds vacuum for at least 5 hours after the truck has been sitting, so I don't think that's my problem. It's got to be something simple that I'm overlooking. Any other ideas? Also, all of these problems have been happening in colder temps, the first episode the temps were in the single digits, then it warmed up to the 30's-low 40's, and now we are in the teens with single digit overnight lows. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm shooting in the dark, but I'm betting your booster is going out again.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM

^ I agree
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parepadarappa View Post
about 1.5 years ago I had my master cylinder go bad and kill my booster also, so those are both relatively fresh. Also, all of these problems have been happening in colder temps, the first episode the temps were in the single digits, then it warmed up to the 30's-low 40's, and now we are in the teens with single digit overnight lows. Thanks in advance.
Slim chance, but as brake fluid ages it will 'take on water' via sweating and moisture in the atmosphere. (this is why they say an unsealed bottle of brake fluid should not be used after sitting for a length of time) I know you say the brake cylinder and all is new so I assume you have mostly new fluid, but some older fluid could have moisture infiltration and could be freezing up part way due to the cold temps. Highly unlikely but, you never know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
I'm shooting in the dark, but I'm betting your booster is going out again.
This would be my best guess, also. If you do change your booster, I would completely flush the brake system and put in new fluid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.