'95 OBS clutch question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2011, 02:51 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'95 OBS clutch question

My neighbors '95 with the 5 spd manual , all of a sudden wouldn't go into gear. Last year we put in a new slave and master cylinder combo and the clutch lever moves about 5/8". What I would like to know before we tear into this. What is the amount of travel in the clutch lever. Can somebody measure the amount of travel, I need to know if the 5/8" travel is normal , if not we can put in the old slave and master cylinder. The clutch has shown no slippage or other problems. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you're talking about the fork, then yes, 1/2-5/8" is good travel. When you say "wouldn't go into gear", do you mean you can't put it in gear with the engine running and your foot on the clutch? Or do you mean when you shift, and engage the clutch, it doesn't move the truck?

Have you tried starting it in gear with the clutch pedal to the floor, to see if it moves the truck immediately?
Old 12-25-2011, 05:10 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

With the truck running and clutch in , it won't go into gear . If you really pushed on it ,the gears will grind. In other words its like the clutch isn't fully disengaged . Starting it in gear, clutch pedal to the floor , the truck will start but , move , like the clutch pedal is out. The only way it would go into gear is with the motor off. We have gone through all the problems that are typical with the OBS clutch , But was just wondering if the 5/8" travel was enough . This happened all of a sudden , no warning . Good one stop light to no disengaging the clutch at the next.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:26 AM

OK, that's def. a disengage issue. And if the fork is moving that much, the problem is "downstream" from there, therefore inside. Either the pressure plate fingers have totally let go, or the throwout bearing is out of place (not sure how this could happen), or some such. Whatever it is, the tranny's gonna have to come off the engine to get in and see what's up.
Old 12-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Rangers Lead The Way!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Now before we go jumping to the madness of pulling a trans lets try something simple. Under the dash where the master cylinder rod comes through the fire wall it will connect to the armature of the pedal VIA a plastic bushing. If that bushing is worn then the rod wears out and will only work the clutch half azzed. If that appears ok then you can also adjust that armature to push the rod in farther. it is splined onto the shaft and a PITA to get off but its another way to adjust the clutch. Odds are the throw out bearing is wearing out but these are two things to try/check before you do all that work
Old 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM

If there were a problem with the pedal, arm, pushrod, hydraulics, etc., the fork would NOT move the full 5/8".
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

The clutch arm was moved 1 spline about 10 months ago and a new master and slave were put in and all worked great. Out of the blue, the clutch won't disengage. We'll start making plans to pull the trans and see whats wrong . Thanks for all the help.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Shade tree mechanic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No noise from the T.O. bearing at all? No chirping or anything? A few months back mine wouldnt go into gear all the sudden, I pulled the inspection plate off and realized a few of the pressure plate bolts had backed out causing my problem. Takes a minute to pull that inspection plate and take a look in there to see if there is something obvious like what happened to me. May be worth the minute in your case to take a look. Good luck.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:17 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Thanks , I'll take a look and let you know what I find.

Last edited by greasyF250; 12-29-2011 at 04:18 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-01-2012, 10:24 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Update: Today I took the inspection plate off and tightened all the pressure plate bolts . All turned about 1/8 to 1/4 turn but 1 turned about half a turn . I know I'm over the 21 ftlbs. of torque , but I know they are all tight. Checked the pressure plate for movement and all looked good with about .035 of clearance from the flywheel to the pressure plate. I took a screw driver and was able to move the friction disc around about 1/2 a turn . Question is , I don't think the friction disc should move like that , being its supposed to be splined. Well anyways , when we tried it , all was normal . It would shift fine ,in and out of 1st and reverse and all through the gears . I know there is a problem, internally and that this fix is only temporary.. Give me your thoughts , especially from anybody that had an OBS apart to install a new clutch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.