Growling and Vibration coming from front end - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Growling and Vibration coming from front end

Okay so I have a 1993 F350, I know its not in the powerstroke era, but I believe the hub is the same and I believe more people are in the forum. So I just bought this truck with a bad transmission and had it replaced. It seemed fine when I test drove it after the trans was fixed. I put it on my trailer and towed it home. Note that I placed the truck is 4x4 low to drive it on the trailer. Then when I was taking it off the trailer it seemed like it wasn't rolling as smooth as it should. I took it out of 4wd. I drove it down the street and it seemed like it had some extra resistance, noise and vibration coming from the front end. I cannot say for sure if it was doing it before I placed it on the trailer, but I don't think is was. So when the truck is at idle there seemed to be some extra noise/vibration, then under mild to moderate acceleration the problem completely goes away. Then as my speed levels off it comes back and I can feel the vibration a little in the floor boards. I took it home and pulled the hubs and they couldn't look any better. I drove the truck with the auto hubs removed and there was no difference. I also drove the truck in 4wd with the hubs in and still the same problem. I jacked the truck up and spun the tire around and while they seem to have maybe a little extra resistance than I would have expected, they had no play at all. I also tried to shake the universal joint going into the hub and it had a small amount of play, but nothing that I would think was too out of the ordinary. The only thing I could find that was out of place was the sound coming from the front passenger hub. If I spun the drive shaft by hand, only the drivers side axle shaft would spin and it made no noise. When I held the drivers side universal and spun the drive shaft, the passenger axle shaft would move and made a little noise and didn't seem completely smooth. I've never messed with this style hub so I'm looking for advise. I'm thinking its the needle bearing on that side, but this is my first and only experience with this set up. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would say it's a hub. I put new ones on my truck at 170K.
I don't remember the price.
It was a fairly easy job if you are use to wrenching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.