'95 F-350 Brakes All Smurfed Up!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'95 F-350 Brakes All Smurfed Up!!!!

Hello,

Here's the symptons, brakes have always (past 5-years) been a little squishy. 2 years ago the vacuum pump took a dump (super stiff pedal and NO stopping power!), replaced it and went on my way.

A few months ago I had a brake warning light and the fluid was a little low. Added some fluid a month later same thing then noticed some fluid around where the master cylinder bolts to the booster. Added fluid and it dried up and the light never came back on and they worked as good or poor as they always had. Then about 2 weeks ago it started getting real soggy. Last week had an ABS light a few times but it hasn't came back on. Showed truck to a buddy and he said it's just the master cylinder. So I replaced it and it made no difference. What is going on here? Any help would be appreciated.

Jason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2011, 06:39 PM

did you bleed the master cylinder before installing it? also it might be your brake booster or you can bleed the whole system and go from there.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a very similar situation with my '96 F350. I replaced the master cylinder (and did bleed the system). No change. I don't claim to know, but it's understanding that when the brake booster goes out, the pedal becomes hard. If it can become soft, I've never heard of it. (but there's a ton of s... I've never heard of!) lol I seem to recall reading a long time ago (and bear with me here-I am in no way claiming I am recalling this accurately) about the possibility of a valve/bypass (?) related to the ABS system remaining unseated, thereby allowing flow-through of fluid, causing the soft pedal. You would think that you would pop the ABS trouble light, though. 'Just a thought. When i get a chance to investigate the problem I'll pass it on......
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Question is (in both cases) -- did you bleed the master cylinder before installing it on the truck? If not, it's a PITA bleeding the air out of it via the lines down at the wheels.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Are your rear brakes adjusted properly? If they are not adjusted properly or at least close you will get soft or no pedal? I found out the hard way after replacing mine and forgot to adjust them up before my test drive
Old 08-13-2011, 04:27 PM

I agree with the adjustment to the rear brakes causing soggy brakes.

Also look on the frame rail under the driver's seat. The rear brake lines run through this ABS controller. There is a bleed screw on it that needs bleeding.

Additionally the ABS controller can internally fail in much the same way a master cylinder can go bad. Internal seals can fail on it.

The module has an accumulator cylinder on it with a larger nut on the end. The nut came be removed and the internal spring taken out. The nut is placed back on and the unit and rear brakes bled. CAUTION -- IF YOU DO THIS YOU WILL NO LONGER HAVE REAR ABS. I would advise this as a diagnotic test ONLY. If the brakes stiffen up then the thinking is the moduel is bad a requires replacement. Not a cheap part.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zROCK View Post
Are your rear brakes adjusted properly? If they are not adjusted properly or at least close you will get soft or no pedal? I found out the hard way after replacing mine and forgot to adjust them up before my test drive
BINGO! Yup, my buddy adjusted the rears and she stops great now. It was weird because when the pedal was squishy it would stay down and I'd have to pull it back up with my left foot. And yes we did bench bleed the master cylinder, bled all of the wheels and power-bled it. So I most likely didn't need to replace it but it was only $60.00 and would end up needing replaced down the road.

They work so good now that I pulled my new trailer (20' + 5' gooseneck) home last night.

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.