moans in 4wheel drive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry moans in 4wheel drive

Hi all,
Ok heres the skinny, 97 psd with dana 50 ifs. Moans in 4x4 either hi or low. 2wd is fine no sound or anything. when in four wheel under load no sound, when coasting or braking sounds like truck is an 95 year old arthritic man geting up from a nap, groans and moans like crazy! sounds seems to be coming from the front left side of truck, just replaced all the bearings and seals and ujoints on that side. Had a friend of mine at les schwab rebuild the front end with new ball joints and a drop pitman arm (truck has a 4" lift). I have everything to rebuild all the u joints and bearings and seals but, if I don't have to do them then I want to save them. Any help on this would be great, we are in about 2 foot of snow in Northern california, yes, cali gets snow too. Plus we are scheduled to get more this week and might need it to get out to get kiddos to school. PLEASE HELP!

"No animals were harmed in the cursing of the rebuild of this front end, few dings in the wrenches and knuckles, but that is what they are for."

Last edited by 97 crewcab; 03-02-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

That sounds like the prob im having with my 4wd. I packed the wheel bearings, replaced the spindle bearings and replaced the locked up U joints with no change. Im thinkin its the output shaft bearing in the transfer case but really havent looked into it much yet its been to cold.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The double cardan u-joint at the t-case likes to fail. Mine did. At first they moan, then they start to pop really bad. You have to get 2 u-joints and the centering yoke, and if you let it go too long you end up buying a driveshaft.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

is that the first U joint from the transfer case ? What do you mean the centering yoke ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.