Wheels bowing out bad in reverse - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheels bowing out bad in reverse

I have a 1997 PSD twin i beam front end. The truck has 4 inches of lift on it. Just recently it the tires started bowing out really bad when i back up. It has always done this a little but now it's getting bad. I have heard some say that the leafs in the front can go bad because of the weight of the engine. Mine are arched backwards from the back ones (they arch down instead of being flat or arching up). My question is does anyone think this is causing my tires to bow out more than normal. The tires are wearing great so everything is fine when i'm moving forward. thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

mine does it too. i replaced ball joints a few months ago and it got better but its still not perfect not sure what else causes this though
Old 01-24-2011, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

if it has 4 inches of lift, the springs should not be arched backwards unless you are using a shackle flip and stock springs
Old 01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

you may also want to try lookin into geting some new inner and outter wheel barrings. they seem to help quite a bit as well when i had this problem.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

from what i learned when i had an 87 bronco, espically if you turn while backing up to park the ttb almost always does this, on some trucks its to little to notice but on some its very pronounced, my bronco looked like a wheel was about to fall off at times depending on how i parked it but as soon as i'd move forward a little it was right back in line like it should be
Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 PM
CSP Resident Spooby

My suggestion, if you can swing the cash, get rid of that pile they call a TTB and swap in a D60. Best $1,200 I've invested in my truck so far (paid 850 for the axle, F350 springs, track bar, sway bar, u-bolts, and the other $350 was other stuff I bought associated with the swap). Rides better, handles better, looks better, etc...

I don't really know what to tell you about the bowing though... Do a search for a thread called "OBS Chat" and ask about it in there. Some of the guys in that thread know more about these OBS trucks than a lot of mechanics do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.