4x4 problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 01:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
4x4 problem

Ok just to start off the truck is a 97 F-250 with a dana 60. It has manual locking hubs. Ball joints and u- joints were just replaced this summer. The wheel bearing are under year and half old, and were inspected before reinstall on the dana 60 from the dana 50. The problem is when the hubs are locked or in 4x4 with the hubs locked when driving and letting off the throttle there is a rubbing/ maybe light metal on metal sound from the front left side. I have put it up on jacks, wheels spin great and bearing feel fine. The lock outs are working great. Also is no play in joints when pulling on the wheel. I was wondering about the inner axle shaft. There is no play in from up and down or from front to back, however there is about 1/2 movement if you grab the joint and pull it towards the hub and push it back in. Could this be causing the noise. If so how do i fix it from moving back and forth. There is no noticeable noise when truck is under load, just when you let off of the throttle, hear more when you let off of the throttle from 20 + mph. Any ideas would be a great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 01:23 PM

Any more information needed just ask. Need to get this figured out asap.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:24 PM

also seems to stop making noise when give it some brakes the breaks
Old 12-23-2010, 02:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mine makes same noise and it's coming from left front also.The little cheap brake caliper bracket rubs the disc or I should say the disc rubs the bracket slightly.I first noticed this after install of the D60.I grinded down the bracket a bit,less noise but I still have some but it too stops when applying brakes.In hind sight I should have replaced these brackets,there are relatively cheap and available in aftermarket,Advance Napa etc.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did you ever figure out what it was? I'm getting a loud noticeable metal on metal sound from the front left side also, but it comes and goes. My 4x4 works fine and the manual locking hubs work fine, so i'm not sure what it is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.