96' front end parts - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
96' front end parts

Well I am kind of in a grind. I need to replace just about everything under the front end of my truck (ball joints, tie rods, steering box, and anything else that wears out after 200k miles).

Well I know Moog is the obvious #1 choice but would buying the parts cheap off ebay be a TERRIBLE idea? I ask this because i can't exactly afford all top of the line stuff and the front end is getting VERY bad. Its to the point where the steering binds up and stuff. I can do the labor end of it, but Schwabs and highway tire want around 2 grand to do all this....

Any cheap alternatives i will look into! Even used parts to be honest. I am getting desperate, so even a used parts truck with some decent parts on it that you could send my way i'd be interested! At least then i could figure out my problem without spending tons on new parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2010, 02:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ive seen real cheap kits on ebay, dont know how long they would last though
Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Derek@VisionDiesel Send a message via Yahoo to Derek@VisionDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by c69ss396 View Post
Ive seen real cheap kits on ebay, dont know how long they would last though
yeah the price of them is AMAZING. but i have at least 1 guy claiming they only lasted a month when he used them on his truck. So for a month it isnt worth it, but they have a 1 year warranty?
Old 05-22-2010, 03:47 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would do the ball joints first, then see how she handles. If the tie rods/drag link is bad do It next. I was amazed at the difference in my steering, after doing the ball joints. I thought for sure that I needed a new steering box, but The ball joints tightened things up a lot. I bought Dana Spicer ball joints from MAD4WD.com $60.00 per side.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYDIRT View Post
I would do the ball joints first, then see how she handles. If the tie rods/drag link is bad do It next. I was amazed at the difference in my steering, after doing the ball joints. I thought for sure that I needed a new steering box, but The ball joints tightened things up a lot. I bought Dana Spicer ball joints from MAD4WD.com $60.00 per side.
$60 per side or $60 per joint? Moog's are 90 apiece haha, thats 180 a side
Old 05-22-2010, 04:55 PM

Per side (kit), check out there web site.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAYDIRT View Post
Per side (kit), check out there web site.
alright will do
Old 05-23-2010, 02:49 PM

ebay parts

I bought the entire front kit, tie rod ends, center link drag link, upper and lower ball joints...the whole deal was 100 bucks. I was real skeptical. Well all the components were forged, I have 10k miles on everything, 2wd f350 dually and tow a trailer. The only thing I can see so far that was or is questionable was the grease boots were not quite on part w/oem ford parts...but everything has zerk fittings and is greasable. I took the pitman arm off last week and split that joint (new steering box) and it was still quite tight...also when i did the front end i simply broke the tie rod ends and pitman arm joint and pulled the whole assy out. the kit came w/new sleeves and bolts etc. I also put new control arm bushings in and that made a huge difference in ride as well as replace the steering damper which again made a huge difference...the only thing i have not replaced yet is the pivot bushings on the I beam axles.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystic1582 View Post
I bought the entire front kit, tie rod ends, center link drag link, upper and lower ball joints...the whole deal was 100 bucks. I was real skeptical. Well all the components were forged, I have 10k miles on everything, 2wd f350 dually and tow a trailer. The only thing I can see so far that was or is questionable was the grease boots were not quite on part w/oem ford parts...but everything has zerk fittings and is greasable. I took the pitman arm off last week and split that joint (new steering box) and it was still quite tight...also when i did the front end i simply broke the tie rod ends and pitman arm joint and pulled the whole assy out. the kit came w/new sleeves and bolts etc. I also put new control arm bushings in and that made a huge difference in ride as well as replace the steering damper which again made a huge difference...the only thing i have not replaced yet is the pivot bushings on the I beam axles.
May I ask where you bought these? That sounds ridiculous, that setup costs $700 usually.

Post a link or something to where you found it. If yours are actually lasting like you say they can't be that bad. Hell 10k miles and still real tight, they cant be bad at all.

But im hoping i can replace a few parts at a time, get the steering all figured out then work on the worn out parts.....
Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 PM

here's a link. *It was may of 2009 when i bought

Like i say i was skeptical as well. If my truck was real nice and low mileage i would buy new Ford parts but my truck is in ok condition but has 320k on it. The upper and lower ball joints were not bad at all, just tough to replace, you need a press. The part that was worn the most was the drag link and the rear control arm bushings. Here's a link below.

SUSPENSION&STEERING FORD F250 F350 2WD 87-96 TIE BALL : eBay Motors (item 390115486796 end time Jun-04-10 20:59:59 PDT)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.