99 7.3 major problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2014, 04:53 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
99 7.3 major problems

I have a early 99 f350 diesel.. I been have a problem with the truck running and dieing but idle normal but rough as well .. I can drive my truck 1 to 5 mins at times and misses smokes runs like **** then dies .. half to let it sit at least 20 mins before start up.. When it does start I gotta sit there for a few mins clearing it out and will only last a few miles and gotta repeat all the step to get moving again .. The only time I can drive it a Lil further is in the morning. . I had a code come up on the snap on computer was combustion balance fault .. on number 8 and 3 .. I replaced 8 and 3 injectors I also tested the wiring gasket fuel filter .. fuel pump and the ipc or whatever the thing is called to the lower right of the filter ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2014, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

For future reference, replacing injectors based on a contribution balance fault code, especially on cylinders 3 & 8 is most often a waste of money. Any cam position sensor other than the OEM black one will cause codes for those cylinders, and it's usually not accurate.

I assume that snap-on scanner will let you monitor live data. Set it up to monitor ICP, IPR duty cycle and RPM while cranking, and (hopefully) when it starts. Do you have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge you can install? If you leave it idling, will it continue to idle fine and not have a problem until you start driving? Were there any other codes present, like maybe P1211?
Old 07-05-2014, 07:56 AM

I don't know how to do the live data on the scanner my buddy does but he's not home and I do not have a Guage on my fuel and no tire valve on the motor to check that ..and yes it will Idel fine for hrs in till I pull out and it will miss and die after a mile or so
Old 07-05-2014, 07:57 AM

Sorry no other codes
Old 07-05-2014, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

On the surface, it sounds like a fuel starvation problem. There are other things that could cause those symptoms, but I'd start by checking fuel pressure. At idle the pressure should be roughly in the 55-65 range, and should stay pretty close to that under load. There is a test port on each head with 1/8" NPT threads, and there's a port on the filter housing, low on the right (passenger) side near where the fuel lines exit to the heads. That port takes a #4 o-ring boss fitting.

While you're under the hood, check to make sure the solenoid and spacer are still secure on the IPR and the nut that holds them is tight. You can also disconnect the wiring connector on the ICP sensor and take it for a drive to see if there's an improvement.

Last edited by Pikachu; 07-05-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:14 AM

OK thanks ill get back to u later on
Old 07-05-2014, 11:21 AM

OK put in new cam sensor let it Idel for about a hr drive for 5 mins and started back firing and lost its power again ..
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM

The socks in tank where clogged 100% thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.