03 6.0L Battery light Alternator Issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2014, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
03 6.0L Battery light Alternator Issues

Hello,

I know this has been discussed before but looking to see what people have found as solutions. I am on a trip driving about 1000 miles and 200 miles in I noticed the battery light was on the dash so I pulled off to an auto parts store and bought a re manufactured alternator which I know I shouldn't have but I was desperate. I installed it and it does not work and I am having the same problem with the batteries discharging. I'm hoping I bought a bad alternator but is there anything else I should be checking?

I disconnected the power leads on both batteries to see if the alternator was doing anything and the truck just shut down so I figured that has to be the issue. I am going to the ford stealership tomorrow for an OEM one with the hopes of fixing this but any additional input here would really help!

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2014, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Replaced the alternator with a factory one and am still getting the battery light. Both batteries were checked to be good at the auto parts store and I just drove over 200 miles with the battery light on and everything continued working and nothing seemed to die out. Any ideas what this could be?
Old 04-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check cable connections.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

need to check output with something like a DVM

u can't go oldschool and unhook both batteries on the newer vehicles without risking severe damage
Old 04-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Winning DUHHH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
need to check output with something like a DVM

u can't go oldschool and unhook both batteries on the newer vehicles without risking severe damage

It will cause immediate damage to the diodes in the alt.

And OP, as others have stated. It is imperative you check output voltage on the alternator while it's running, if you turn it off be sure to bring the revs up a bit then back to idle before making conclusions, some alternators have finicky exciter circuits and need a 1200+\- rev to kick it. Lastly, typically ANY big chain auto parts house will test your alt free....in or out of the truck, and when testing make sure to have headlights on and blower on high.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have just cleaned all the terminals and am still getting the same result. With the truck at idle it seems the alternator is kicking in intermittently. Battery light on and the engine sounds like it is under no load and battery light off seems like it is under a load or the engine sound changes. What is the best way to check output voltage? I have a voltmeter and I am assuming one side to the alternator lead and the other to the battery?
Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also tried to have o Reilly's check the alternator while it was in the truck but they insisted I had to take it but I'm pretty sure the guy just didn't want to do it. I'll try a different place.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Winning DUHHH

Auto zone does it in truck.
An with your vol meter turn it to 20vdc and put red lead on + of batt and black lead on - of batt. If you have more issues call me
573-286-8 nine nine nine

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 04-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Ordnance on coordinates

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
check your serp. belt tension. if its too loose you may not be getting full pull on the alt. pulley.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Went to autozone, drove the whole way there with battery light on and as soon as I pull in the parking lot the light turns off. I kept the truck running and we checked the alternator output and everything was normal at 13.5v. As soon as I pulled out battery light was flickering on and off. Almost seems like a loose wire if bad connection but could the alternator be pulsing on putting out power? Is there some type of voltage regulator that is big on the alternator ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.