Am I Being Ripped Off? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 07:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Am I Being Ripped Off?

Hi All,

I have a 2000 F350 7.3L. We drove up from Fla and the truck ran pretty good, other than having to replace a water pump in Mo & fuel filter. We had glow plugs worked on before we left Fla and the heater block checked. The day after we got here the truck would crank, but not fire. It has 2 brand new batteries, but I believe had gotten run down from trying to crank it for 2 weeks and the cold weather.

We had the truck towed to a mechanic today. We thought the fuel had gelled up, but they said the fuel system is ok, and they are saying it is the low pressure oil pump and will run $3700.00 to fix, due to having to take out the engine to get to it.

I have a hard time believing it would cost that much from a $100 part, from what I have found on the forum. The Ford dealership in Mo. who replaced the water pump did a diagnostic on it and the low pressure pump was not mentioned and I find it hard to believe the next day it would go out.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2014, 08:06 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hard to say what your problem is without any information on ICP volts, IPR %, rpms while cranking, verified status of CPS... Etc..... So many possible problems and zero info. Its possible for the LPOP to go out, but it's pretty rare.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

isnt the lpop behind the front cover?
i dont think the engine needs to be removed.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will try & get more info from the mechanic. Could a low battery effect the rpm's while cranking? I appreciate the help. I just don't want to waste $3700 & I really don't think that is the problem.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthen View Post
I will try & get more info from the mechanic. Could a low battery effect the rpm's while cranking? I appreciate the help. I just don't want to waste $3700 & I really don't think that is the problem.
Absolutely. What is the cold cranking amperage rating of your batteries? My truck did fine in the summer here in Florida with the cheap 700 cold cranking amp Wal-Mart batteries but when the temps got below 40* it was noticeably slower cranking. I got new 850 cca Motorcraft batteries and it fires off just fine at 18*. If it were me, I haul it out of there with a wrecker would get a second opinion.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthen View Post
I had work truck taken to the shop because it wouldn't start. Thought it was the hpop but I'm not very sharp the on the 7.3s. Ended up needing batteries. Apparently one of them wasn't powering something sufficiently and it wouldn't start.

Brett
Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 AM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by badbart View Post
Absolutely. What is the cold cranking amperage rating of your batteries? My truck did fine in the summer here in Florida with the cheap 700 cold cranking amp Wal-Mart batteries but when the temps got below 40* it was noticeably slower cranking. I got new 850 cca Motorcraft batteries and it fires off just fine at 18*. If it were me, I haul it out of there with a wrecker would get a second opinion.
If your spending $3700 and you have doubts. Research a reputable diesel mechanic in your area and get a second opinion.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:08 AM

Sounds a little steep on price and you don't need to take the motor out to do the low pressure oil pump. I don't think those pumps just go out like that.

It has to be something else. I would think either battery related, or it has to do with the high pressure oil pump/IPR... that kind of stuff.

Or even just check the stupid electrical stuff. Like the main wire harness plugs, the valve cover plugs, etc... since someone was in there working something just may have worked loose.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
If your spending $3700 and you have doubts. Research a reputable diesel mechanic in your area and get a second opinion.
Yes yes yes.... For that price I would talk to someone else.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I found out today it's the timing cover that needs to be replaced. I'm still leery and checking into other places. I believe the engine does have to be pulled for that, but I did get them down to $3400...Still really steep I think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.