No power accelerating hard - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2013, 12:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power accelerating hard

Hello,

Thanks to all that regularly contribute. You've built quite an archive.

I replaced glow plugs on my '00 F250, 7.3, 6 speed. Removed intercooler lines, removed valve cover, replaced plugs (all but one tested bad), and reassembled. The next morning (friggin cold) it started great, but ran funny. I drove for 20 minutes with issues when I tried to accelerate hard. It would run fine in all gears until about 1700-2000 rpm. Once I hit the higher rpms, the accelerator would go soft and the rpms would jump to 2200-3000 rpms without any significant power.

When I stopped driving I popped the hood and inspected the fuel lines BC I smelled diesel. The water fuel separator valve was leaking bady. I did a quick fix with an O ring until I could get a replacement. The truck has continued to lose power and jump rpms despite having the fuel issue fixed. I have inspected all of the intercooler joints and they seem to be sealed.

I've driven about 100 miles since the problem started. It doesn't happen in 1-2 gears. If I punch it hard in gears 4-OD it will fail to accelerate at 17-1800 rpms, accelerate only very slowly to the point that passing on two lane would be scary.

Any thoughts appreciated. I have a few ideas, but am hoping to tap into your knowledge before I start replacing sensors or dropping the fuel tank.

Thanks
FFA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2013, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you have a boost gauge in your truck, if so is it tee'd in before the map sensor. I had my hose blow off the tee and lost all kinds of power.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Talking

I checked the MAP sensor. . . no dice. Removed both glow plug/injector electrial connectors on valve cover, check redplaced. Unscrewed the main electrical connection on driver side of engine, checked pins, reinstalled, checked all electrial connectors in area of prior work. After a test drive, it isn't revving as much without power, but remains somewhat soft. As far as I can tell, there isn't anything I changed that should have made a difference.

So. . . there is a bunch of kak on the fuel pickup that fell off, or other fuel issue?
Air in fuel system?! Could it be that simple? Surely fuel pump is self priming, I did not fill filter housing with fuel after draining to replace water separator valve.
I have an intermittent connection on an injector or two (would throw code?)?

It isn't thowing any codes. . . I should probably take the lazy route and just wait for a code, lol.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Problem Solved?

I replaced the fuel water shutoff and changed the fuel filter(probably unnecessary). Performance is significantly improved, with some lingering hesitation/lack of power at higher rpms. I have a feeling my O ring quick fix allowed air to be introduced to the fuel system. Kind of counter intuitive because it would seem to me that anything on the filter housing that's a place for air to get in would simply show up as a fuel leak. . .

Is it necessary to bleed injector lines on vehicles with electrionic injectors? I'm used to working with 70-80's tractors with mechanical injection pumps.

Thanks for the help. . .
FFA
Old 12-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Emergency Services

you do not have to bleed the lines, they will self bleed. you also can pull air in with out leaking fuel,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, no acceleration, power, rpm jump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.