leaking coolant after oil cooler and egr cooler replaced... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
leaking coolant after oil cooler and egr cooler replaced...

I live in Atlanta. I picked up my 06 PSD from the mechanic in Atlanta after having them replace the oil cooler and install a bulletproof diesel egr cooler. I was having no problems whatsoever with the cooling system on the truck prior to this work, other than my temperatures spreads were hovering at 15 degrees on the highway. I was simply being proactive. Took the truck on Tuesday evening and drove to Knoxville Tn yesterday for the holiday. Temperature spreads stayed between 7-8 degrees at 70+ the entire way.

One thing I noticed after getting home was that an entire gallon of the cat elc coolant I provided to the mechanic was remaining in the back of the truck. This concerned me since I assumed they would use 3.5 gallons of the 4 gallons I provided. I stupidly thought," I guess they had an opened bottle in the shop they used at no charge.". Right? Once we reached Knoxville and slowed our speed I noticed that the coolant temps increased to 198 after not surpassing 191 the entire 3.5 hour drive. I credited this to the cool temps at highway speed vs lower speed after exiting the highway. Less air over the radiator = higher temps. This morning I decided to check the coolant level and found it low. Okay, there must've been an air bubble which had worked its way out, which would account for the extra coolant not being used, so I added a half gallon of the red elc coolant. Drove for a bit and noticed a coolant smell. I pulled in to a parking lot, and sat at idle. After a minute or two I notice steam under hood. Exit the truck and sho'nuff I've got coolant raining down on the ground.

Is there a hose or component in particular that might not have been tightened properly that I should be looking for, as I can't see anything obvious. Coolant everywhere, but I didn't think the water pump was being removed? Serpentine belt was also replaced in the shop, if that is relevant.

I would also add that if coolant were coming out of the truck at the rate it was coming out in the parking lot that the truck would have been empty pretty quick. Is it possible that coolant is leaking at a faster rate when the truck is idling?

Suggestions for a diesel shop if I can't figure this out near zip code 37922? There is a ford stealership not far away. Thanks much, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2013, 10:04 AM

The only thing I can think of would be to look in the valley of the motor under the turbo pedestal. There is a rubber hose that they may have not tightened. Start the truck and get a light to jump up and see what you can see

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I can see drops of coolant come down under the intake on the passenger side. Looks like it is a square box, whixh I assume is the oil cooler. Not tightened down? I am looking from the passenger battery, over the serpentine and underneath the intake. Does that sound the oil cooler I am looking at?
Old 11-28-2013, 12:11 PM

That's the egr under the intake. Damn. the only thing I can think of is bad seal our gasket but hopefully someone else chimes in.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 11-28-2013, 12:55 PM
information regurgitator

If it is coming out in the area under the intake, and just above the waterpump...there is a donut gasket right there between the intake manifold and the front cover. Bring it back to whoever you had do the repair and have them fix it. They obviously missed the fact that it needed attention, or they might have knocked the o-ring out of whack and did not notice it.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

For the first time ive also noticed a very subtle amount of white smoke from the tailpipe. Theres no way ive blown a head gasket. Please tell me that donut gasket would also cause that symptom.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Also it appears the coolant is only visible as more of a spray, presumably due to be trown by the belt and the fan. Very light mist but heavier dripping after I turned the motor off. Coolant drips down on both sides of the fan as if it is coming from a high spot. I thougt that was weird.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:16 PM
MARSOC > Seals

I had a similar issue and the o-ring on the water pump went bad. It looked like it was leaking from the donut gasket but it wasn't.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess if thats the case you just replace the entire water pump, or just the oring? Thats nit the same thing as the donut gasket being referenced above, right? I was worried about the coolant leak, but after seeing the little bit of white smoke my mind is developing a much worse story.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:39 PM
MARSOC > Seals

This is true. Could just replace the o-ring.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.