04 6.0 slow on power, runs for 5 minutes and dies. New injectors HELP I'M STUCK IN ND - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool 04 6.0 slow on power, runs for 5 minutes and dies. New injectors HELP I'M STUCK IN ND

-Ok so I have a guy back home (Florida) who builds these trucks and he and I are both at our wits end with this truck. I don't have access to the type of scanner he has so it is making things very difficult. Every shop around is 3-4 MONTHS away from even being able to diagnose my truck. Symptoms:

-Starts up like a charm
-Runs kinda rough for a couple of minutes while I let it start to warm up but I figure it is because it is below 0 degrees here right now
-Basically the truck will seem to run fine for few minutes while it's warming up but the second I try to drive it it'll start chugging and shut off. If I let it idle for long enough it will do the same thing.
-I did the air bubble test and the left bank hose filled a balloon up pretty quick so I figured the injectors were shot. I changed all 4 on the left bank and it is still doing the same thing.

-This whole mess started because I let a (former) buddy use the truck while he was looking for work up here. My water separator light was on and I told him it was just the sensor and not to worry about it. Well he decided to drain it and cross thread the plug back into the housing of the fuel pump so at that point I was pulling air through the pump. It was driven for a few days until I was driving it and it started acting like it was running out of fuel and shut off soon after. I have replaced the fuel pump, done the BB mod, checked all my fluids, dropped the tank and cleaned it, and replaced the injectors. It still has the same exact symptoms.

-I'm at the end of my leash and just trying to get home to my wife and daughter for Thanksgiving at this point. The guy who did this (Sean J Isaacs of Palm Harbor, FL- true scum bag) agreed to help pay for parts (considering he caused this mess) then skipped town and is avoiding my calls. I'm drained and just really looking for some advice and possible solutions at this point. I replaced the HPOP about 3 months ago so I know that is not the problem.

-It seems that putting the truck in gear speeds up the process of the symptoms. That is another reason which makes me believe the injectors needed replaced.

-Is there a sensor anywhere that could have failed that would make the truck do this or does it seem like a mechanical issue?

-One more thing to note- I had the truck pulled to town the other day and I turned it on so I would have brakes and power steering for a little way until the truck shut off. The truck never shut off during the 15 mile trek and once I got to the place I was being towed to I unhooked the truck and it ran just fine. I drove it around for a few minutes and not a single sign of the symptoms. I decided to let it sit and see what happened. After an hour I came back and it all the symptoms were back.

Thanks in advance for your help everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It's gonna be really hard to diagnose without having access to a scan tool and knowing what codes you have. You could start by checking the FICM connections.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
It's gonna be really hard to diagnose without having access to a scan tool and knowing what codes you have. You could start by checking the FICM connections.
Yeah that is the big problem right now. I just had the FICM off today when I did the injectors and I checked everything when I reassembled to make sure it was all on tight with good connection. My guy back home is going to send me a new FICM and PCM tomorrow morning to see if it may help. I'm just stumped because the injectors were bad for sure and yet it didn't change the symptoms.

Could an injector on the other bank be bad but not giving air bubbles in the line and therefore I am overlooking it? That's all I can think at this point.

The truck is also a Florida truck and has never been in cold weather let alone arctic climates like it has seen here. Think that could contribute to any of this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.