2004 F-250 6.0 No Start PLEASE HELP!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation 2004 F-250 6.0 No Start PLEASE HELP!!!

OK, so I returned from Afghanistan in May and my truck was suffering from hard starts in the morning, would idle rough and then smooth out after a few minutes, but you could feel it missing when accellerating. It continued with this until a little over a week ago and then wouldn't start unless you plugged in the block heater overnight. I changed the fuel filters, hoping that that would help out (Honestly don't remember what brand they are). Then, on Tuesday it started up in the morning, ran kind of rough on the way in to work. A couple of hours later I started it up and it ran rough. At about 1:00 PM I went to start it and got nothing. I plugged in the block heater and continued to try and it would fire for about a second and then die.

I came on here and from the previous symptoms I figured that it was having stiction issues and changed the oil, went with Rotella T6 5W40 and substituted 2 qts for Hot Shots Secret (Yes, I used Motorcraft Oil Filter). Since then I have gone out and continued to cycle the engine to allow the additive to work. What is wierd is that when you try to start the engine it won't even attempt to fire while the starter is cranking fast. Once the batteries start to run low and the starter slows down it will fire and on occasion run for a few seconds. Sometimes it will run like crap, sometimes it will purr for those few seconds, then it will die.

Plugged in a Diagnostic Tool and pulled codes and then cleared them, the only one that comes back is P1000. Before I cleared the codes it did show two codes for the FICM, but they haven't came back.

With the machine plugged in while cranking the ICP showed over 800 - 1,000 psi. All other sensors are showing normal results.

I pulled the top fuel filter last night, KOEO and the fuel bowl filled up in about 2 seconds. On a side note, before I put the filter back in I noticed a small o-ring and a plastic ring inside the fuel bowl, not quite sure where they are supposed to go, so I put the plastic ring on the tower with the little stick pointed down into the castle ring and the o-ring on top of that, then put the filter back on and tightened it. Truck is still doing the exact same thing as it was doing before.

I am going to go and buy a new set of fuel filters and replace them again to see if I might have screwed up and bought crappy filters.

If anyone else knows any other possible solutions, please let me know!!!!!

:ma d:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2013, 09:43 AM

I have 2 of those trucks and had similar issues. One was running rough like you mentioned and had to replace the FICM. Ran good after that. I had also been in the engine before that problem to replace the high pressue oil pump.

On the other truck I had I had a few episodes of hard to start (took longer while it was turning over to start) but then at a fuel station it wouldn't start. After 3 weeks at the dealer they found a high pressure injector o-ring bad and that cured the problem. Since you mentioned you had a code for the FICM you might want to look in that direction? Good luck......
Old 09-26-2013, 05:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update: When I plugged it in to a diagnostic machine and pulled codes, it was running the following:

P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Performance
P0562 System Voltage Low
P0611-Fuel inj. Control Module
P1000 Check of all OBDII Systems Not Complete
P1374 Ignition Coil - Cylinder 4 - Early Activation Fault
P2285 Injector ctrl pressure sensor circ low

I cleard the codes and attempted to start it again, and the only code present now is P1000.

I am going to try new (MotorCraft) fuel filters today and see what happens.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so I changed the fuel filters to Motorcraft Filters and tried to start again, no change. If anyone out there has any ideas, please let me know.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsman3537 View Post
Update: When I plugged it in to a diagnostic machine and pulled codes, it was running the following:

P0336 Crankshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Circuit Performance
P0562 System Voltage Low
P0611-Fuel inj. Control Module
P1000 Check of all OBDII Systems Not Complete
P1374 Ignition Coil - Cylinder 4 - Early Activation Fault
P2285 Injector ctrl pressure sensor circ low

I cleard the codes and attempted to start it again, and the only code present now is P1000.

I am going to try new (MotorCraft) fuel filters today and see what happens.
NEEDS A FICM P0611 START THERE. THEN SEE IF IT STARTS. CLEAR CODES AND SEE WHAT COMES BACK. YOU MAY HAVE 2 PROBLEMS HERE.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Aparently the batteries went bad (probably from trying to start it for a week). So going to put a set of Optima Red tops and see what's up then. In regards to the FICM I am thinking about ordering an upgraded one from Bulletproof Diesel, anyone have any advice on that or know of a better model to go with?
Old 10-03-2013, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Put two new Optima Red tops on and a 6 Phase, 58 Volt FICM from Bulletproof Diesel. Truck is running far better now that it has in a year. Blowing some smoke due to the Hot Shots Secret (they say it is normal). I plan on taking the truck to the dealership to get the latest FLASH for my truck and will be installing a Banks IQ 2.0 as a monitor.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsman3537 View Post
Put two new Optima Red tops on and a 6 Phase, 58 Volt FICM from Bulletproof Diesel. Truck is running far better now that it has in a year. Blowing some smoke due to the Hot Shots Secret (they say it is normal). I plan on taking the truck to the dealership to get the latest FLASH for my truck and will be installing a Banks IQ 2.0 as a monitor.
Anyone running a 58v ficm correct me if im wrong does bpd program there ficm with a hot file. If anyone answers yes dont have dealer program anything. Call bpd and ask them before having dealer touch it.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will give them a call, this is what BPD has on the ordering page for the FICM:

"NOTE: This product comes ready to install and may not require reprogramming, but reprogramming is highly recommended."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 no start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.