Problems with 2004 6.0 liter powerstroke, fresh gaskets and studs, no power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems with 2004 6.0 liter powerstroke, fresh gaskets and studs, no power

Hi,

I need some help. While in Afghanistan, I had Lead Foot Diesel Performance pick my truck up to fix leaky head gaskets. Let it be known that they went out of their way to go get my truck while I was deployed and then had the truck done before I got home. Very commendable. Vinny dealt with me mostly through email, which is inherently difficult.

They replaced the head gaskets with oem head gaskets, used ARP hardware and headstuds, o-ringed the heads, rebuilt the FICM, replaced 3 injectors, replaced the HPOP, and added a regulated return fuel system. They also installed an SCT Livewire TS 5015. That's where I am having the problem.

First of all, when I was on the way home, I noticed that the "Turbo Boost" wasn't changing. It just read -.40. Every once in a while it would change to -.44, but otherwise it just stayed statically at -.4x. I could hear the turbo spooling up, but the SCT gauge didn't indicate anything. I changed it to manifold pressure, and I don't remember what it read, but it also wasn't changing. I called SCT and they wanted me to call them back when I got home and could hook a laptop up to it.

The SCT Livewire comes with two tunes. Performance and Street. When I put in the performance tune, the truck feels 20-30 hp stronger than stock. When I put in the street tune, it feels like a dog (much weaker than stock). I figured these were canned tunes, and didn't put much thought into them. I called Innovative Diesel and ordered three tunes from them. They recommended a 120hp tune for towing, a 150hp tune for daily use, and a 190hp race tune. The 190hp tune feels like a gain of about 40 hp. The 150hp and the 120hp tunes, feel real sluggish (again weaker than stock). When I say they are sluggish, I mean, the truck doesn't feel like it can get to the end of the gear. The transmission won't shift until ~4k rpms because the computer is registering a WOT condition, but the truck takes for ever to get to 4k rpm.

Each company is defending their product and I don't doubt any of them. SCT had me overnight my tuner back to them, so they could test it, and it checked out perfect. Innovative says they have sold those tunes to countless people and that 190hp tune should be giving me mahogany. Furthermore they claim their 150 and even the 120 should be making my hair stand up. I don't doubt them either. Lead Foot, says they built the truck right, and they build 300+ 6.0Ls every year, and if there had been a problem they would have identified it. I have no doubt about that because the truck purrs. Unfortunately I don't need the products defended to me. I believe in them. But I need to figure out what is wrong with the truck.

I don't believe in coincidence. I think the boost not registering (despite me hearing the turbo spool up), and the tunes not yielding much performance are definitely related. Has anyone heard of this problem before? Anyone have any suggestions? There are no dyno shops near me I don't think (I live in Evans, GA). I am going to try to find the MAP sensor and look at it with a multimeter (this was a suggestion by Jesse at SCT). Can anyone think of anything else? I am hoping someone jumps in and says, "Oh yeah I had that. It's a..."

Thanks,
Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2013, 08:51 AM
American and Proud

is it blowing alot of smoke? and is the egr valve left in place and plugged in?
Old 09-12-2013, 09:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If your truck wasn't making any boost like the Livewire was indicating your truck wouldn't feel sluggish, it would feel like you were dragging a tank behind you. Get a real turbo gauge and I'll bet you'll see that the Livewire is at fault. Personally I wouldn't drive the truck until you correct the problem because if its not shifting until your close to the red line who knows what else its confused brain is doing because it thinks your truck isn't making enough boost. You could actually be making dangerously high boost and not even know it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old 09-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Warning: Diesel Only

what does it do in stock? same or worse?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior125 View Post
is it blowing alot of smoke? and is the egr valve left in place and plugged in?
Lead Foot did an EGR bypass. The soot is about normal. I get a little soot when I jump on it, but just normal driving doesn't yield any soot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
If your truck wasn't making any boost like the Livewire was indicating your truck wouldn't feel sluggish, it would feel like you were dragging a tank behind you. Get a real turbo gauge and I'll bet you'll see that the Livewire is at fault. Personally I wouldn't drive the truck until you correct the problem because if its not shifting until your close to the red line who knows what else its confused brain is doing because it thinks your truck isn't making enough boost. You could actually be making dangerously high boost and not even know it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
The shifting problem only happens on those sluggish tunes. On the 190hp tune it drives mostly normal, it just feels like it has about 40hp over the stock tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.006powerstroker View Post
what does it do in stock? same or worse?
Oddly enough, I didn't try putting the stock tune back in since they did the work. I will try that tomorrow when I get the tuner back from SCT. They mailed it back to me today overnight, so I should have it about mid day tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Someone sent me a PM suggesting this.

Quote:
There is a rubber hose that goes from the passenger side of the intake up to a sensor on the firewall, also on the passenger side. The sensor has 3 nuts that hold it down. If I remember right the hose is 1/4" and about 12" long. Try replacing that.

I had a friends truck that was acting like what you describe and I found the hose was the issue.
I tried to find this hose and sensor, but could not. Does anyone know what this could be referring to?
Old 09-12-2013, 07:45 PM
American and Proud

Map sensor
Old 09-13-2013, 07:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You guys are the best. I found the map sensor and found the hose unplugged from the valve cover. I reconnected it, but haven't tried the truck out yet. I am waiting for my programmer to get back. I overnighted it to SCT a couple of days ago, and they just sent it back to me yesterday. I tracked the package and FedEx says I will have it in the next hour and 15 minutes, so I am waiting on that before I try the truck out.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. I will post the results in a few hours after I check the truck out.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:58 PM
Warning: Diesel Only

any update?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yessir. It's like a different truck. It was definitely that MAP sensor being disconnected. My boost and manifold pressure are reading correctly again, and the truck makes power with all tunes. I hope anyone else with this problem finds this thread. Thanks again to everyone that helped (including the people who pm'd me with advice). You guys were super helpful to a lurker with 1 post. I will post some pictures tomorrow, to show off the truck and the work that Lead Foot Diesel performed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.