No start please help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No start please help

02 F250 4x4 7.3L no mods other than DIY air intake. I was driving Saturday and it was running fine, went home for an hour and it wouldn't start, all my gauges come on and all electrics work. Tried jumping even though the batteries are fine, no blown fuses, tried swapping relays, got underneath the truck while the wife tried to start and tried hitting the starter; nothing (all I hear is clicking), could it be the starter or I read something about the shifter position sensor, how would I go about checking that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2013, 06:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
To be clear, your problem is more accurately a "No Crank" (as in the starter turning over the engine) - right?

So, if you hear a "click", find out where it's coming from. Feel the relays or starter for the origin of that sound.

If you hear a click it's Not the Safety Switch that only allows the starter to turn with the either the selector in P or N OR the clutch IN on a standard.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The clicking is coming from my relays under the steering wheel and I can hear/ feel the clicking in the starter underneath the truck when my wife tried to start it. If the starter is bad should it still be making noise when I go to start it?
Old 06-25-2013, 02:54 PM

OK, take the cover off the fusebox and put your fingers on each relay. Find the one that's clicking, look in the owners manual to find which one it is for (on an '02, that starter relay IS one of those NOT like the earlier trucks which have a relay on the pass fenderwell)

Also, did you try the Headlights, as I said in your other post?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes the #307 is the starter relay and can feel it clicking. And yes my headlights, AC, radio, and windows all work
Old 06-25-2013, 04:17 PM

The Headlights, when you try to start, do they dim or remain bright?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry, they remain bright
Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM

So, then something is going wrong with the sequence of engaging/cranking as there is no "draw" from the starter. Again, it's getting past the NSSW if things are clicking.

I would start with the easiest thing, swap the starter relay in the fusebox (maybe 303? that's the IDM I think). If it makes it crank over, because that relay was bad, chances are it's not going to start now that you have a bad relay in the IDM slot)

Next, kinda sounds like it could be the starter itself. Either a bad Bendix or the motor or brush contact with the commutator. I like your thinking of banging it with a hammer to reseat things, it's what I would have done

Maybe take it out, see if it runs on the ground by attaching jumper cables, you should be able to have the Auto Parts Store test it for you too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.