1999 7.3 in a 1996 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 07:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1999 7.3 in a 1996

I have a wrecked 99 f-350 7.3, 4x4 with only 40k on it and i have a chance to get a 96 f-350 7.3, 4x4 that needs a trans. Would the motor and trans from the 99 bolt right in the 96? I am looking at the 96 this weekend and dont wanna get it if it wont

Thanks
Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
the motor block and heads are the same but thats about where it ends.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There are some differences in both the engine and trans but it's mostly a bolt up situation. The 99 engine will be efuel vs a mechanical pump on the 96. The injectors are larger split shot and need different programming unless the 96 is a California truck. The block is the same and will bolt right up. Accessories are different so you will need to swap the mounts or convert the brakes on the 96 to hydroboost so you can ditch the vacuum pump. The intake plenum is smaller on the 96 so you will either need to make the sypder and intercooler from the 99 work or swap to the smaller plenums so you can use the non intercooled 96 setup.

If you have a auto in both trucks, they are basically the same with the 99 having some extra sensors and a pwm solenoid for the torque converter vs a on/off one. The 96 transfer case will bolt up to the 99 trans which will allow you to keep your drive shafts but the 99 transfer case is stronger.

If it were me I would make a hybrid using as many parts from the 99 as I could. I would swap to the 99 pcm which will control the fuel pump and make the transmission swap easier. I would also use the 99 rear axle for disk brakes and create a hybrid front axle. The 99 should have a solid dana 50 front axle with better disk brakes than the 96 dana 60. I would swap the knuckles which are a direct bolt on and the stub shafts which would give you a dana 60 that's a direct bolt up to the 96 with better brakes. The down side is the unitbearing from the 99 but you would have matching lug patterns and 4 wheel disk brakes. I would probably also transfer over all the 99 abs system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.