Buyer beware or good deal?!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Buyer beware or good deal?!?!

Interested in purchasing a 2002*F350*7.3.*It has 114k miles on it and is mechanically sound. Here's the catch...it was involved in hurricane sandy. I know, i know...before you say "don't even bother!" here me out. Spoke to the original claims agent and he was really informative on what happened. He said the original owner claimed that the water line reached the center of the wheel hubs. Drove it around afterwards with no problems. Then the battery started to die so rather then risk any further electric problems opted to have it "salvaged" and get a check. Claims agent confirmed water never enter the cab or touched paint and was "totaled" due to dying battery. New dealer got it inspected and was able to obtain a clear title in the same state (NY)....no title washing. Is this a good buy? Will there be problems down the road because water was up to hubs. Its a pretty good deal at $12,500....but is it really worth it? Drove it around for 30min and all electric works now with new battery and*4x4*modular. Please help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I would question if they really totalled it for a dead battery, sounds like they are hidding something else. However, if it only had water up to the hubs then just put new fluid in the diffs to be on the safe side.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 PM
Banned

12,500 is a little high for a salvage titled truck. other than that, if everything is working right now and it doesn't smell funky, I wouldn't worry about it. pull the fuse box cover under the steering column and lay down backwards under the dash and look up there to see if it looks like salt water got in there.

you could also pull back some carpet to see what it's like under there. water will sit under the carpet for months and will get mouldy in summer weather.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply guys, imma beat him down a little bit but not ridiculous seeing as how it is a 7.3 with low miles and a clean title now. No "S" for salvage. Just wanted to make sure i wasnt looking at a complete hub replacement or other sorts of repairs one might not be aware of. Fuse box is good and carpets are original with no funk. So im looking forward to joining the community. Thanks again for the input
Old 06-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would never give that much for a salvage truck "NEVER".because once you buy it
your gonna be the one taking the hit.if it's thru the insurance company i would offer maybe 5-6k and i buy these trucks with problems like alot of people on this board.

that truck would have to look brand new for me to even consider that kind of money.
but like i said if it's salvaged i've found out there worth half of booking price and that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.