low pressure oil issue while driving - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2013, 06:36 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
low pressure oil issue while driving

So here is my problem I have a low pressure oil issue while driving. My oil pressure gauge when the engine is at operating temp will not go above 40psi. It has no hard start issues no long cranking issues. It has a diesel site adrenaline hpop. The new stand pipes and dummy plugs installed new o rings in the injectors and just installed a new oil pressure check valve assembly in the pump. I could really use a hint of what in the name of ford is goin on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Does it die? Are you just watching the gauge on the dash?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:57 PM

Doesnt die. It will run idle oil pressure is at 20 to 15 psi at operating temp. No I have an actual oil pressure guage in the truck so I can watch the oil pressure cause the dummy gauge doesnt cut it.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:04 PM
Mod Newbie

40 psi of oil pressure on the LPOP side is plenty. If it's not running poorly and has plenty of power, you have enough pressure.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:17 PM

Thats the thing it is low on power and fuel milage sucks. The one thing I forgot to throw out there is that the oil pressure will slightly fall off it can go down to 30 psi at times. Not sure how to say it but the truck just doesnt feel right.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabees View Post
Thats the thing it is low on power and fuel milage sucks. The one thing I forgot to throw out there is that the oil pressure will slightly fall off it can go down to 30 psi at times. Not sure how to say it but the truck just doesnt feel right.
Sounds more like a HPOP issue than LPOP. Do you have a way to monitor ICP psi? Also, what year truck are we dealing with?
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM

The truck is a 2004 the hpop is brand new ipr valve is brand new. The hpop is one of the nice indestructable adrenaline pump. The hpop system seems to work just fine. I have a tap at the front of each oil rail so I can see the oil pressure if required
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM

The normal oil pressure use to be 30 at idle and 70 flyin down the highway. Then one day it just kinda fell off a little bit now it just wont go above 40. When I say fell off a bit I mean it went down to about 60.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:35 PM
Mod Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabees View Post
The truck is a 2004 the hpop is brand new ipr valve is brand new. The hpop is one of the nice indestructable adrenaline pump. The hpop system seems to work just fine. I have a tap at the front of each oil rail so I can see the oil pressure if required
You need to watch the ICP. A faulty sensor will not allow full HPOP pressure. If you have a good scan tool, Auto Enginuity, Scan Gauge, etc., you should be able to watch it at WOT or any RPM for that matter. I'm gonna say with with almost 100% certainty that you don't have an LPOP issue. If.your truck is tuned, monitor the ICP voltage instead of PSI because sometimes tuners manipulate the ICP in the tune. The voltage will remain the same whether it is stock tuning or custom tuning.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:52 PM

Quick question how would the hpop not putting out full pressure affect the lpop system. I know when a stock hpop pump blows the check ball you end up with oil pressure issues and all. I think I am just havin a hard time trackin ya here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.