First day on forum, first post!
Vehicle: 2004 Ford Excursion 4X2 Limited, 6.0 PSD, 190K miles
Primary Use-mostly as family carrier, hauling kayaks/boat (nothing over 5K), traveling and camping.
Upgrades: 4" exhaust pipes, soft ride shocks (currently disconnected), NO TUNER
My abilities: very proficienct with gas engines, average at best with diesel.
How it started: Approximately a month ago, had diesel smell in cab. Found badly pinched gasket/oring on assembly. Purchased a Fuel Regulator from dealership and replaced with not problems. After replacement, no SMELL-Go to go right? No, truck would not accelerate thru the turbo cycle and was too smooth on the bottom end. NO CEL on dash. Never ran HOT!
Fast forward to 3 weeks ago-Drove to see the Nutcracker ( for 8 y/o duaghter) and on the 45 minute trip back home, the Excursion just stopped in traffic. Crank, but no start. Walked home to get Jeep to tow it home. Got it home and started researching.
Oil changed with FORD parts-1200 miles ago
Fuel filters changed with Oil Filters-1200 miles ago
Clean fuel in bowl
Oil in Bowl and would drain when drain plunger was activated.
No smoke when trying to start.
Pull EGR soleniod-moist to touch BUT NOT WET.
Battery Checks- both over 12.1 volts
Pulled ICP sensor- NO START FOR LIMP HOME MODE
Coolant required topping off about every 2 weeks (MORE LATER)
Decided to go into the top of engine, with the intentions of doing an EGR Delete. So-
Prep-Completed a coolant flush with VC-9 through the thermostat opening (removed).
1. Pulled the air filter and all other air intake piping
2. Pulled Degas bottle
3. Pulled alternator-had it tested-BAD. Replaced with NEW one.
4. Pulled oil / diesel bowls
5. Disconnected the turbo and removed
6. Pulled the turbo bracket
7. Pulled the air intake manifol
8. Pulled the Oil Cooler
9. Pulled the HPOP top.
What I found:
1. Oil COOLER completely CLOGGED with NO FLOW on coolant side! REPLACED THE OIL COOLER WITH FORD PARTS.
2. Oil resevior screen busted in one area (screen still attached and there) REPLACED.
3. IPR sensor-screen was not attached to the sensor and wedged into housing area. REMOVED and REPLACED WITH FORD PART.
4. ICP sensor-found oil soaked and REPLACED WITH FORD PART.
5. Turbo was free to operate, no binding, no wiggling / wobbling of bearings. Looked good.
6. HPOP-Freely operates, all orings looked good, BUT REPLACED ANYWAY. Along with the up-piped to turbo. The orings looked worn.
7. EGR Cooler was actually Immaculately Clean considering. Free flow and no leaks between exhaust and coolant. WHAT A SURPRISE, NOT A EGR COOLER PROBLEM.
8. INJECTOR # 7 (Passenger rear) the electrical housing is not fully seated in the cover. Plugs in well, but wiggles. I have not started looking in the valve covers for problems YET!
9. Complete wiring harness visual inspection, one rub (not exposed wiring).
So the re-assembly. With that must replaced I was very confident that it would run and run well. I re-assembled the top of engine in about 3 hours. Replaced Oil and Gas Filters, 15w-40 motorcraft oil and verified coolant.
So after about 15 primes, engine started up and ran like crap!!!! Best way to describe was "BOGGING DOWN". While idling, it died and has not started since. I have been working on the truck 3-6 hours each week night and 8-10 hours on weekend.
After all that was replaced, I am completely lost.
Facts as of now:
New Oil Cooler, with rebuild kit for cooler
New Up-pipe for Turbo
EGR Cooler Clean
New Oil / DSL Filters
Cleaned the GROUNDING straps
1. FICM: KOEO-voltage reads 32 while Gplugs are activated, then ramps up to 48VDC. Talked with two FICM repair people, both stated that it should crank with vdc about 46. Did not recommend replacement.
Batteries: both are above 12.9. Can not check alternator output due to NO START.
2. Block heater plugged in for 8 hours-NOT START
3. STARTER-shorted the yellow & blue wire to positive and starter turns over with no problems.
Odd note: The EXC has never thrown a CEL light. To compound the problem, I do not have a CODE READER.
1. I have a HPOP leak SOMEWHERE!
2. I actually do need to replace the FICM and have most up to date FLASH(es) installed.
I NEED HELP! I actually LOVE the functionality that the EXCURSION brings to my family. But I can not afford for the vehicle to be down past this weekend. Wife is on break, so being down to one vehicle (1994 JEEP) is not killing us. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. I will PAY CASH for any help (including local help willing to help). I will gladly give out phone or email to anyone with suggestions or thougths.
With that said, I pray everyone has had a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS and I wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR.