OBS Battery Light Low Voltage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 09:08 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OBS Battery Light Low Voltage

Howdy y'all, typing on my phone so forgive me for being short. On a 5 hour road trip, looked at gauge cluster right before boarding ferry and saw battery light on. Voltage while running according to gauge is usually 14 while charging. Now of reads ~10. Have no access to volt meter, both batteries 850 cca motorcraft, truck idles fine and starts fine but always low voltage. Don't know if running down batteries or bad reading. As far as I know, stock alternator with 224k miles.

No access to alternator shop, only autozone and oreilly. Only have tomorrow morning to fix it.

What do y'all think? I'm thinking alternator is dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would agree with you under these circumstances. I just really hate replacing parts without troubleshooting, but you say no access to a volt meter, so I would have to agree with replacing the alternator. I would just hate for you to replace the alternator and still have the same issue.

If you have time, and your planning on replacing it anyways, you should uninstall it, and take it apart, I would clean the contact side of the rotor, and lightly file down the brushes and then put it back together and reinstall to test it.

I have managed to save a few alternators using that little trick, and if it doesn't work, then hey, you were gonna replace it anyways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.