Torque spec! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Torque spec!

I need one last thing before I finish the job. I replaced the pinion ring on my rear differential, well the flange that connects over that has a nut right in the center of it that holds it on. I need the nut torque specification! I called Ford and they can't seem to find it in their AllData Program. Anybody know what it may be?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 PM
BANNED by Kris

Unless this post was supposed to go somewhere else we are going to need more information. What truck, year, 4x2 or 4x4? Do you mean the bearing cap (one on each end of the Differential Case)?
Old 08-06-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuel View Post
Unless this post was supposed to go somewhere else we are going to need more information. What truck, year, 4x2 or 4x4? Do you mean the bearing cap (one on each end of the Differential Case)?
Sorry about that my man. I've been working on my truck all day and trying to look up info, getting a little confused. I have a 1997 F250 7.3, 4x4. It is the rear differential. The nut that holds on the flange which holds onto the pinion ring and everything behind that.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:53 PM
BANNED by Kris

We might be talking the same thing. Can you take a picture of you pointing at exactly which nut? Thank you.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:10 PM

I put it back together to later figure out that i needed the pinion ring, which i believe is causing the leaking. You can see the flange is whats connected to the rear diff. and the bolt is in the middle. ( as you can see in the up-close pic) I have to do some running around so when I get back home I'll take it back apart and give you a better pic, if needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Torque spec!-20120806_180014.jpg   Torque spec!-20120806_180022.jpg  
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM
BANNED by Kris

I was way off. That is the Pinion Stem Nut. She's a b1tch to tighten at 440-500 lb-ft. Not supposed to use a power tool of any kind on it. Some auto stores will rent a tool called a Companion Flange Holding Tool. This holds the pinion side universal steady while you set the nut with a heavy torque wrench. For future safety put RTV around the bottom of the nut where the nut rides on the universal (before spinning on the nut and torquing) to keep creeping oil from the differential from leaking out down the universal to pinion splines.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:31 PM
BANNED by Kris

Found this for you:

Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM

Thanks a lot bub. I just got done working on it, no good news. I couldn't set that pinion in there since its a press fit, so I tried putting the flange on and tried to tighten it down and hopefully it would all just press in nicely. That's not the case. Tomorrow Ill just get something that sets over the pinion evenly and mallet it in. I really just cant believe how hard it is to tighten that bolt.. I cant raise the truck on jacks cause it shakes too much when I try to torque that bolt down, So I can't really use that big of a cheater bar. It's a pain in the a$$. I know I'm not supposed to but I may use my torque gun (which is only 350lbs of torque) to tighten in down just a bit, then do the rest by hand..

Last edited by Dansox; 08-06-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:41 PM
BANNED by Kris

Reason for not letting you use a power tool is that the pinion has chush washers in there supporting it. The gun's wrapping _could_ mess them up. In the shop we wouldnt let a piece of paper stop us from doing anything. Time is money.

Last edited by BigFuel; 08-06-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:46 PM

lol That's for sure. I also did go ahead and replaced the crush washer. The original wasn't bad, but I was already there and have no intention on going back anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.