Loooooooong crank when hot! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Loooooooong crank when hot!

Okay so randomly yesterday my truck decided that it didn't want to start after i got home from work So i did a little research and i came up with a STC fitting? or dummy plugs and all of them saying to check them but how do i do it? Any help would be nice thanks! the truck is completely stock in the motor if that helps any of you guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Serving Our Country!

What led you to believe that it may be your STC Fitting or Dummy Plugs? STC Fitting is located in your HPOP. Dummy plugs in your Rocker Boxes. I wouldn't go pulling anything apart, I'm unsure how you would test them. How did the truck react when you put the key in the start position while it was cold?

I probably won't be much help with this, so here's to bump! Good Luck!

Last edited by ChrisB; 06-14-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
What led you to believe that it may be your STC Fitting or Dummy Plugs? STC Fitting is located in your HPOP. Dummy plugs in your Rocker Boxes. I wouldn't go pulling anything apart, I'm unsure how you would test them. How did the truck react when you put the key in the start position while it was cold?

I probably won't be much help with this, so here's to bump! Good Luck!

the only reason that i think that it is the STC fitting is because all of the cases that i see sound just like what my truck is doing, it cranks for a good 40 seconds before firing when it is hot but after letting it sit all night it fired right up like it normally does when cold.

So am i correct with it being STC? and if it is how hard is it to change it out and buy a new one??

Old 06-15-2012, 11:56 AM

Any one have any ideas?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ok, so if nobody wants to help I guess I will lol

You are most likely correct in thinking it's the STC fitting or your dummy plugs/standpipes.
But, you should find an AE first and check the ICP pressure first. Your oil pressure needs to get up to 500 PSI before it will even think of starting... The AE will show you if it is getting up there and how long it is taking.

Now, to replace the STC fitting you will need to take out your turbo and the oil pump cover right under the turbo bracket in the back of the engine. then the fitting is right there and easy to change out. The only problem I see is if you still have your egr cooler then you need to take apart the whole top of the engine to get the intake manifold/egr cooler out because the egr cooler interferes with the removal of the HPOP cover.
If you don't have the egr cooler it is SOOO much easier

Now, for the standpipes and dummy plugs it is more work. you need to take off the plastic valve covers. Then you will see the steel weird looking pipe and the dummy plugs are the plugs in that pipe. There is one standpipe in each head and when you take off the oil pipe assembly you will see the standpipe starting for there and going into the block.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
Ok, so if nobody wants to help I guess I will lol

You are most likely correct in thinking it's the STC fitting or your dummy plugs/standpipes.
But, you should find an AE first and check the ICP pressure first. Your oil pressure needs to get up to 500 PSI before it will even think of starting... The AE will show you if it is getting up there and how long it is taking.

Now, to replace the STC fitting you will need to take out your turbo and the oil pump cover right under the turbo bracket in the back of the engine. then the fitting is right there and easy to change out. The only problem I see is if you still have your egr cooler then you need to take apart the whole top of the engine to get the intake manifold/egr cooler out because the egr cooler interferes with the removal of the HPOP cover.
If you don't have the egr cooler it is SOOO much easier

Now, for the standpipes and dummy plugs it is more work. you need to take off the plastic valve covers. Then you will see the steel weird looking pipe and the dummy plugs are the plugs in that pipe. There is one standpipe in each head and when you take off the oil pipe assembly you will see the standpipe starting for there and going into the block.

Are you sure about a having to take the EGR out? I watched a video on how to change the STC and he just loosed some hose clamp and pushed it out of the way and it came right out, I also asked my ford garage and they said that it shouldn't cause any problems. So idk just food for thought lol
Old 06-16-2012, 08:42 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Thank you master!

Just joking now looking back I think you are right... I just didn't know any better the first time.

Now that blue hose just spins 90* and comes off, then the egr cooler pops out of the intake manifold and comes out.

So do you understand everything else?

Sent from my crazy phone that posts behind my back...
Old 06-16-2012, 09:04 AM

just for the heck of it ? do you have any codes ?
Old 06-16-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
just for the heck of it ? do you have any codes ?
No none at all, when I sit there cranking it a tbc fault pops up on the screen
Old 06-16-2012, 09:25 AM

what are you checking code with ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.