Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

wont start unless plugged in

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dieselnate6.0 
#1 · (Edited)
Its has been forever since I posted but here goes, I have a 03 F250 6.0 egr delete. sct livewire, Towed a truck back to were I live appx 220 miles truck run great, have been noticing that for past couple weeks truck has been taking extra couple secs to start and takes awhile longer to really run good after startup, Now after i got back from trip ran truck appx 50 miles next day and didnt drive it for the rest of week went to start it saturday morn and it would try and start but would only run for appx 2sec and die lots of smokeout of exhaust but would not stay idling, it was appx 80 degrees out this day, i plugged truck in just trying to figure out and 2hrs later went back out and truck fired right up idling smooth when i tried to push gas just in park it wouldnt idle up at all then i let it warm up for appx 20min went out pushed gas and it was running great, so wat i am getting at is truck wouldnt run unless plugged in. So i figured it was glowplug module i ordered put it in and same thing tries to fire but wont start so i have known for awhile that my icp sensor was leaking oil so i started replacing that today, but my ? is is there anything else this might be or am i on the right track? any help would be great thank you in advance.

Also truck went from running appx 200 miles a week to maybe 20miles due to me getting company pickup about 3 months ago. doubt it has anything to due with it but thought I would say. I really need this going so i can go to mtn tomorrow. Thanks again i do have turbo off and icp changed has of now if there is anythin else i can check while its off.

See less See more
#2 ·
Just an update I got my icp sensor changed out and everything back together and its is still the same If i plug it in for a couple hours it will start and idle amazing, tried to drive it today and as soon as it is under any kind of a load it starts cutting out and wont really go anywhere....... there are no codes and no check engine light, does anyone have a idea of wat i should do next or where to look next? could this be a fimc issue? any help would be great thanks alot!!

#3 ·
A good diagnostic tool will show the FICM input voltage and output voltage. Around 13-14 in and ~48 out. Many trucks I've seen that have starting issues either have a high pressure oil leak or the more than likely option (which is only $85 to have fixed at ford) is the FICM may need an update. If it needs replacing, I'm sure someone on here has one for sale. They're like $650 from Ford.. Don't go that route.. It takes less than an hour to replace. If you have a digital multimeter, remove degas bottle, remove access plate on top of FICM, ground your multimeter to battery and make sure you only touch one of the electrodes inside the cover plate at a time ( there's 4, start with closest to driver side fender). Again, ~48 volts.. If its significantly lower, it's bad. Like 46.5 is the lowest I've seen. 47.0 47.5 48.0 48.5 and 49.0v are the numbers my Solus Ultra sees the most.

#4 ·
yes but, blockheater would not affect ficm operation. actually your truck not running as much i think is very relevant. what i think is you have sludged oil in your injectors. the oil is sludged inside the injectors, by that logic when you plug in your block heater the oil is thinning out allowing for proper injector opening. white smoke is undercontributting injection. so if the injectors are not opening all the way then too much air and not enough fuel is going through the combustion process causing the white smoke. smoke smell like fuel?
and i've seen ficm voltages go down to 22v while cranking

#5 ·
plugged egr valve hanging open. clean or replace. try starting a cool 6.0 with the valve out and those are your exact symptoms. One very good former 6.0 tech recommended starting it with the valve out to blast some of the soot out of the system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.