Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 It rained & my electrical system is dead

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  HVAC SuperTech 
#1 ·
I have a 99 7.3 4x4 CC with 180K miles. I've noticed over the last few years my door open chime/alarm works intermitently. During wet weather, it chimes but sounds funky. Dry weather it doesn't make any noise. Anyway, It rained a few days ago & I went to start my truck in the AM, but nothing. Both batteries are dead. The barreries are good BTW. Is there a possible known part that goes bad or acts up in wet weather? Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
Sounds like the gem module under the hood got wet. I think its near the brake booster area.... water can get in there and cause issues. I bet it shorted out and caused your batts to drain. Are they really drained, or is the truck not turning over because of the module getting wet.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks HVAC for your response. My truck is so dead, the needle on the voltmeter won't even move from the 8 volt mark. What's the GEM Module? What does it look like? How many wires go to it? Thanks man!

PS: My windshield does have small leak toward the top just about inline with the steering column. Not bad but I'll occasionally get a streak of water down the inside of the winshield.

Any pointers to diagnose if it's the GEM module?

#4 ·
Gem module is what controls the locks and the overhead console stuff and other things. I am not sure where its at, what it looks like or anything. Maybe someone will chime in. Always can Google it and see if pictures are avail from other forums.

#5 ·
Oh, yeah, leak in the windshield would cause problems,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.