97 wont start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
97 wont start!

Ok I put a banks intercooler on my truck and replaced the glow plugs at the same time over the weekend. Started it up, took it for a test drive then plugged it in for the night. Next morning it was a little slow starting. I cranked it twice before it kicked over, went to work let it sit in the parking lot for 5 hrs and now it won't fire up. The glow plugs light up as normal and I've tried glowing it a couple times but it just won't kick over. Have had a chance to try to jump it yet but if if that doesn't work what do y'all think it could be? I checked the plugs going to the valve covers and they're all on and when it sits there and cranks I didn't notice any white smoke coming out the tailpipe or smell diesel so I'm not even sure if I'm getting any fuel in there. Where should I start and what should I do? I'm thinking batteries but I don't want to just throw money at this. I did just buy an intercooler after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here's what I would look at first;

WTS Light? - do you get it when you first roll-on the key?

Tach Movement? - does the tach needle move up slightly when cranking?

Fuel - pump runs? Fuel refilling filter housing? Tank below 1/4?

Is it cranking fast enough? - it won't even TRY to start if cranking really slowly.

Is your truck "chipped"? If so, remove it as a Test.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

WTS light does come on, not sure on the tach or fuel pump and I have a 6 pos chip but I put it to 'stock' mode when I started having problems. By then it was turning really so though. I'm gonna get a jump after work to see what happens. Hopefully it starts right up. I'll find out more about the tach and fuel pump when I try jumping it and let you know.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Just so you know, once it starts to crank too slowly (normal is 150-200 rpm) the computer won't send the injectors a signal to start below 100rpm. So, save the batteries & starter when you hear it get really slow
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nice to know. I'm leaning towards bad batteries now with the more info you guys are giving me. Gettin off work here in 30 min so we'll see what happens with a jump.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yep, batteries went out. Got a jump and it fired right up like nothing was wrong. Sorry for jumping the gun but I kinda freaked since I put all this work into it over the weekend that I probably screwed something up and that it wasn't just coincidence that the batteries went bad. Thanks for all the advice though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.