Died and won't start back up... wtf? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 01:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Died and won't start back up... wtf?

I started my pickup this morning and headed for work. As soon after I turned onto the main road from my house the engine shut off. Right before it did I heard a small "click" that sounded like a relay "click." I pulled off to the side, put it in park and tried to cycle the glow plugs to try and start it again. When I did this the "wait to start" light never came on, I cranked it with no luck. Any ideas where to start at with this problem? Pickup is a 2000 f-250 7.3 PS 4x4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 02:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Take a look at fuse #30 (ALL of them really) because without a WTS light, chances are your PCM isn't running. Fuse 30 is not only one of the fuses that supply power to the PCM (look at 19 & 22 also), but it also what supplies power to your Fuel Heater (in the bottom of the filter housing). They commonly corrode through and, now that the weather is colder and they're turned on, blow that fuse.

I'd be the first place I'd look.....

Oh Yea, I forgot to add... IF 30 is blown, unplug that heater element or it will just blow again (you shouldn't need it anyway)

Last edited by NoRalPh; 11-17-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks a million! It turned out to be exactly what you said, the fuse was blown so I replaced it, it blew again so I unplugged the heater, replaced the fuse again and like magic my "wait to start light" came back on. It fired right up! Roll on! How much does a new heater cost?
Old 11-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm not sure about the cost but I can tell you that, from what members have said here, most just leave it unplugged....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.