Urgent Climate Control Problem!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Urgent Climate Control Problem!!!

This may not seem too urgent but I live in an area that is starting to get cold and snowy, and without a solution to this problem I don't know how I will be able to get around this winter.

I have a 2010 F350 Lariat Crew Cab Dually Diesel.

For a few months now my climate control has been acting crazy. This summer, when it would be very hot outside my truck interior would cool off just fine, but once the air temp became comfortable I would feel heat. The entire passenger zone would start blowing heat. The only way to correct this was to set the cc to dual and put the temp on 65. That would work for a while, but eventually I would have to drop it to 60 to keep it blowing cool. The driver side worked just fine.

Now, I am having the opposite problem....well the same problem but opposite seasons I guess. With the weather turning cold, the pass. side blows out heat like a champ, but the driver side will only blow out cold air. I can turn the driver side up to 90 and it still will only blow cold air. Needless to say you can't defrost or melt snow with cold air very well.

I inquired from a ford service tech about the problem and he said that the head unit, the cc center in the dash was probably the issue so I purchased one for what was of course a huge amount of money and installed it. Unfortunately it is still doing the same thing.

My question is: if the cc control unit is fine, is there maybe an inside driver side or passenger side ambient air temp sensor that could be sending the control unit the wrong temp data? If so where in the world are they located? There must be sensors on each side for the dual zone climate control to work but I have had no luck locating them.

If anyone knows PLEASE tell me, or give me another idea to try, I'm running out of time before the bad weather sets in and I would like to not freeze to death in a 1.5 year old truck.

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How is this not under warrenty?
Old 11-17-2011, 12:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The 160k miles pretty much took care of the warranty.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No one has any idea where the inside sensors are huh? At least it is going to be fairly warm for a few more days.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Probably not a temp sender issue. Sounds more like a blend door problem. Earlier trucks were known for this. Just do a search on 08 blend door motor. Ford had a TSB of sorts on this too.

Ford tells you to pull the dash to change the blend door motor. I did one once without pulling the dash but it involved pulling the passenger air bag and trimming the dash. And a lot of cussing.....
Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the response, I have come to that conclusion as well. I bought the workshop manual so I could try the job myself and it does say to pull the dash. I will try to figure out if I can do it without, but it sounds like a pretty crappy job. I appreciate the help.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke Techie

No problem. The passenger side actuator you need to get to is behind the passenger airbag and to the left of it. Good luck!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

From my description does it sound like the pass side actuator?

I was thinking that since I could set the pass temp to 60-65 and have it blow cold but the driver side would ONLY blow cold no matter what temp it is on that the driver side was the one that was bad.

I am probably going to try and replace both just in case anyway, do you happen to know exactly where the driver side actuator is located? The shop manual shows an exploded view for removal, but the dash isn't included in that pic so I'm not exactly sure of the general location. The pass side pic (the easy one) of course shows the exact location.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am dealing with this same issue on my 2009 Lariat Crewcab.

Today I replaced the passenger side blend door actuator - took out the passenger airbag and glove box as well as nav unit and related trim. I hadn't changed one before and it took me about 4 hours. I could do it again in about 2 hours now that I figured all the tricks for access out.

After putting everything back together - still had the same issue.

Then found what I believe is the "driver" side blend door actuator and pin pointed the ticking noise coming out of it. It is located under the fold out cup holders at the carpet line. There is a floor duct running horizontally under the actuator and it blocks access to the "front" screw.

By gently prying down the duct I was able to remove the actuator with an 8mm Craftsman combination wrench using the open end on the front screw. It took about 10 minutes to get the actuator off. The tough part was prying down the duct so I could get enough clearance for the wrench.

Can someone confirm this is the "driver side" blend door actuator that supposedly requires the dash removal? If you don't pry down the duct - I'm sure you would have to remove the dash.

Prying down the duct is not likely to be an official recommendation found in a factory service manual (which I have) but it didn't damage anything and I have a hard time believing someone wouldn't have tried that before tearing out the whole dash.

I pulled the actuator apart and looked over the innards to check for visual issues that would cause the clicking. There were no signs of any issue, at this point I can only guess there was an electrical issue with the small motor inside.

I test drove it for 30 minutes with the actuator plugged in and laying on the floor - no clicking or other noise. The splined shaft turned every time I adjusted the temp or fan - as I'm sure it is supposed to. I'm going to replace it with a new one and reinstall.

I'll use a small piece of masking tape to hold the front screw in the actuator while I slip it into place.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has used this technique - I've searched threads and couldn't find any info on that method.
Old 01-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I will be trying your method. Thanks for the info. I'm not positive that is the driver side blend door but from your description it sounds like the right one. I have the DVD service manual and it doesn't really show a nice exploded version of that actuator so I wasn't exactly sure where it was so I haven't tried to find it yet. I use my truck for work everyday so I can't afford to tear it apart until I am sure about everything. My only worry after reading all these threads is that I have no 'clicking' noise that everyone talks about which makes me think that it could simply be an electrical issue. I will be attempting what you did though, it can't hurt to put a new one in even if it doesn't fix my problem. I'll post results when I finish as well. Thanks again, great info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.