truck just stopped; 97 F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck just stopped; 97 F350

I need some help in a bad way.
I was out running around on Saturday looking for parts to put together a intake for my truck. Now, I just got it back from the shop on Weds for brakes and oil change and all was going along ok. After about 2 hours I was going down US Rte 1 and the truck just stopped, everything, no smoke, lights or anything.
Had the shop run diagnostics, 1st they thought it was CPS but it has been verified to be working. Now they think it is the IDM. What is the purpose of this? They are trying to locate a spare to test it out.
Does anyone have a spare I can buy before I buy a $900 part if this is the problem? I should know later on this evening.
97, F350 auto dually 7.3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anybody you know have a 7.3L? Any year IDM will swap in your truck and work for a "test".
Old 06-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The shop I have the truck at is waiting for one now so they can test. The owner knows a Ford tech, so they swap parts back and forth.
I found a place in Fla that sells these things refurbished for $139 called Auto Computer Exchange. Anyone ever heard of them or used them? I do not want to pay Ford $900 or after market $500/600.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Northern Auto Parts: - Reman Ford 7.3L Power Stroke Injector Driver (IDM) that is where we got the on for my dads truck, it had about the same symthoms that yours did but it restarted and smoked ALOT. ford wanted 900 for it so we decided to have a freind follow us in atruck and drove it back to st pete from sarasota fl (about 35-40 miles) it made it all the way to our drive way and stalled again.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Right now mine will not do anything! I did not even see any smoke coming out of the tail pipe. Check fuses and even swapped the IDM relay with no changes.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Wow!
1994 - 1998 Ford Power Stroke GB Remanufacturing, Inc. is pleased to announce the release o... Cost $255.99 Core $143.75
For that price I think I will at least check out Auto Computer Exchange. I am not working right now, so every little bit helps out. Plus this place has lifetime warranty as long as you send them your core.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Plugged in spare IDM and truck started right up like it never missed a beat.
New one ordered, should be here 1st thing in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.