6.0 High Pressure oil pump(Am I getting Hosed?) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
911 Urgent Situations Emergency Forum , Need Help Fast ? Post Here ! Urgent Topics Only

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 High Pressure oil pump(Am I getting Hosed?)

On 1-25-2011 my 2005 6.0 180.000mi tuck died on the side of road, no warning just died. The code I got was something about injection pressure. Several phone calls and a search or two had me worried it was my HPOP. My business, like our country's economy was in very bad shape, so this was the worse possible time for an expensive repair. To save some money I took it to a diesel mechanic rather than the dealership. He conformed my suspicions, 2000.00 HPOP parts and labor. Thats has to be way cheaper than the dealership, everyone in alway calling them stealerships right? Well after my save a buck mechanic has it tore down, I call the dealer and they quote me 1700.00 out the door. Now my wheels are really turning, is the mechanic trying get to me. Well I confront him and I get out for 1875.00. Truck runs but cranks for a long time, longer than usual. Mechanic tells me that there is air in the oil and the condition will correct itself with some miles. I am very suspicious at this point, sounded like BS. Truck seems to run good until a few nights ago (3-5-11)dies on side of the road just like last time. I check code, and it is the same one from before, so I have it towed back to mechanic for what I think will be warranty work. The next day he informs me that all the oil is out of truck(all over the underside but the top is dry as a bone). He says there are no external oil lines that they are all internal and that it is more than likely a main seal and has nothing to do with the work he performed with the HPOP. The truck was not leaking or useing oil at all and I checked the morning before the second break down. Does this sound reasonable? Thanks for any advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

get a lawyer.. my dealer told me parts were $700....
Old 04-29-2011, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it would be incredible for a seal to go bad that quick, and even more so to be so bad that it would dump out all the oil. yes get a lawyer , something is wrong with his work. get you $ back and take it somewhere else. he did a s&&&ty job and now he won't own up to it. that equals his work is never going to satisfy you on a finicky 6.0
Old 05-30-2011, 04:20 PM

i bet you blew the o-rings on the High pressure oil plugs (dummy plugs). That happened to mine...left me stranded. Paid 800 to get it fixed at the dealer, and 700 for them to go ahead and do the preventative STC fitting fix.

Do yourself a favor and buy a scangauge ii at autozone, then program it to check icp, ipr duty, eot, ect. That was the best $140 I ever spent.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:32 PM

nope dummy plugs are under the valve cover, they won't cause an external oil leak
Old 09-14-2011, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

At my shop this is what i charge to replace a High Pressure Pump:

Diag-$69.99
Pump-$700
Coolant(2)-$30.00
Oil and Filter-$100
Labor 8.0hrs@$68-$544

Total- $1443 +tax

Regarding the oil leak; i suspect it's a leak at the HPOP gasket. There are two spots at the very rear that need to have (diesel)silicone rubber added or you will have a massive leak where the rear cover meets the block.

At a minimum the engine should be thoroughly cleaned. Otherwise it will be very difficult to see the leak unless it sprays you in the face. I almost always add UV dye to the oil after cleaning and blacklight it. The leaks are very easy to find this way.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCrafter3208 View Post
At my shop this is what i charge to replace a High Pressure Pump:

Diag-$69.99
Pump-$700
Coolant(2)-$30.00
Oil and Filter-$100
Labor 8.0hrs@$68-$544

Total- $1443 +tax

Regarding the oil leak; i suspect it's a leak at the HPOP gasket. There are two spots at the very rear that need to have (diesel)silicone rubber added or you will have a massive leak where the rear cover meets the block.

At a minimum the engine should be thoroughly cleaned. Otherwise it will be very difficult to see the leak unless it sprays you in the face. I almost always add UV dye to the oil after cleaning and blacklight it. The leaks are very easy to find this way.
I agree with this. Hard to really say what went wrong in the first place, but these HPOP are rather tough. Seeing as it just died on you I'd almost guess you had a STC or IPR issue, not a HPOP failing. Usually a HPOP will get weak but the trucks usually don't just die. Then again, anything is possible so who knows.

Worst part is I can do a HPOP in about 4 hours, without pulling the intake off. If you call Ford though they will probably quote you about 8 hours for the job.

I'd really make sure what's leaking oil on it too. Everyone always thinks rear main seal when about 95% of the time it's something else leaking and running down around the trans bellhousing.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm having a big oil leak in the valley by the HPOP is it ok to just replace the HPOP gasket or do I have to change the pump to I have a 7.3 if that makes any differents

Last edited by beck1818; 02-16-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.