Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

2005 6.0 Reverse polarity jump start. Now what?

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Devon2576 
#1 ·
okay so i have a 2005 f250 6.0 with 207k on it. alternator has been on its last leg only been putting out about 12.5v so thats the reason for the need to jump start. well lets put it this way, im usually very attentive and think before i do something however i was working in the dark and a few other things going on to distract me and i made a needless mistake and accidentally hooked the jumper cables wrong on my passenger side and slarks flew and smoke from the battery. after that all my cab lights flicker when the key is on but after the fuel pump stops priming they all go back to normal. could not jump it cause it was too dead.. also slight corrosion on passenger side positive and a good amount on the drivers. does this just sound typical of a low voltage situation? i need to replace the alt anyways so that doesnt hurt my feelings but what are other things i should look for? Also, yes, i know it was dumb but lets just say it wont happen again and i hope this urges others to make sure to check those terminals before making any connections.

Thanks.

#3 ·
The stupid tax isnt usually cheap... and this isnt really a 911 as its more of a "start fixing stuff"

Start with the alt, then you likely smoked a cell in the battery, fix and clean all your connections, then start looking for blown fuses/fusible links.

Its also possible that you damaged the FICM, but you wont know that until you get everything else straight and watch it with a monitor.

#4 ·
This isnt really a 911 as its more of a "start fixing stuff"

Start with the alt, then you likely smoked a cell in the battery, fix and clean all your connections, then start looking for blown fuses/fusible links.

Its also possible that you damaged the FICM, but you wont know that without a monitor.
agreed its not a real 911 but its urgent for me because it's my daily and i know this forum as been good to me. i have an edge cts. should i be looking at ficm voltage? mine usually was at 48.5 before but did not read after short

#6 ·
Until you get - at an absolute minimum - decent batteries and wiring/connections in there, there's no real point in drawing conclusions about anything. New batteries and alt and then turn the key. That's when the meaningful diagnosis begins.

Reactions: Heavy_GD
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.