94 idi turbo diesel hard starting.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
94 idi turbo diesel hard starting....

Hello, i have a 94 (non powerstroke) idi turbo diesel. About a month ago it got really hard starting in the mornings. After it is initially started it starts just fine, but not if it sits overnight. The "wait to start" light i have noticed only stays on for a second or two compaired to a few seconds. Also there is a loud ticking sound from the timer thing..... so whats my problem, timer, or glow plugs., or what....???? Don't know too much about the idi diesels....any info would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Emergency Services

Glow plugs

Most likely your glow plug control module. The solenoid does not fail very often, but the flat black piece the solenoid is bolted to goes bad on a regular basis.(The solid state timer part)

Cheapest I have seen them is $125.00 on Ebay. I just had the same problem you are describing for the 3rd time in 2 years. I bypassed the control timer and now I just use a momentary switch to control the solenoid. Push the button, count to 10 and she fires right up every time now.

Could still be the glow plugs themselves, but the controller is more common.

How old are the glow plugs and relay that are in it now?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

not sure on how old the plugs and relay are.....i know they are at least about 60k miles....prob more. So if i were to go to the parts store what should I ask for: glow plug control module??? thanx
Old 12-01-2008, 05:07 PM
Emergency Services

Glow Plugs

Yeah, just tell them glow plug controller and that should get them there. Probably be around a $150.00.

I would test the glow plugs first, just to be sure. Just pull the wires off the tips of the glow plugs and check with an ohm meter. Should be .5 - 1 ohm. If you don't have an ohm meter, take a test light and hook it to the positive side of your battery, touch the test light to the uncovered tip of the glow plug and if it lights up, it is most likely good.

Also check the ground wire on the glow plug controller, it should go to the valve cover. Be sure it is clean and connected properly.

Make sure to do all the tests on the glow plugs when they are cold (before startup)

Hope this helps
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

cool...ya big help...thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.