92 non turbo - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2006, 05:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
92 non turbo

Hey guys,

My dad has a 92 F-350 CC, non turbo 7.3, 5 spd. Is there any way to get more power out of it? It's pretty much a gutless wonder. The local diesel shop says a turbo isn't a good idea, something about the internals isn't up to snuff. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You can turn the pump up. And yes you can add a turbo, Ford did it from the factory in late 93 and early 94. There are a couple of aftermarket ones available. If you do a search on turning pumps up on 6.9l/7.3l IDI engines you should turn up some info.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:40 PM

I've tried some searches, haven't had much luck....wanna help a guy out?
Old 11-23-2006, 06:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if found this, might help.
http://www.members.shaw.ca/k2pilot/I...%20article.htm
Old 11-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

contact some sponsors here, im sure they can hook your dad up.
Old 11-24-2006, 05:10 AM
BIG TRUCK, SMALL DRIVER

Banks and Hypermax make tubo kits for them.

I've heard the Sidewinder kit from Banks really wakes the engin up, but don't look for PS power without more mods.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via ICQ to overl0rd Send a message via AIM to overl0rd
Lem posted a write up on turning the pump up, it should be in the articles section.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turbo Upgrade

I also have a '92 F250 and at the time I bought it 2 years ago the performance at highways speeds was similar to yours: a gutless wonder. About a year ago I installed a used ATS turbo onto the motor. I was towing a car (on a trailer) from Eugene, OR to Chico, CA when I stopped midway to pick up the turbo unit in Ashalnd, OR and then drove over to Klamath Falls, OR to have the turbo installed by a good diesel mechanic there. On the way to K-Falls the truck slugged it out along I-5 doing, if I was lucky, 55-60 MPH. After installing the turbo I left K-Falls and headed south, facing a long grade to get out of town. Pre-turbo I would've been lucky to maintain 35-40 MPH towing that car. The turbo effect is nothing short of magic: I found myself having to throttle back 1/4 way up the hill just to maintain the speed limit (55 MPH)!

So I can unequivocally say that putting a turbo on your '92 is not only feasible, it's a virtual necessity if you're going to tow anything. Highway mileage has remained about the same unloaded (14-15 MPG) but towing mileage went up significantly (from 8-9 MPG to 11-12 MPG) and going over passes at higher altitude you can really tell the difference in performance.

My (barely) used ATS turbo cost $500 + $300 to install...and worth every penny :-).
Old 11-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadow427 View Post
Hey guys,

My dad has a 92 F-350 CC, non turbo 7.3, 5 spd. Is there any way to get more power out of it? It's pretty much a gutless wonder. The local diesel shop says a turbo isn't a good idea, something about the internals isn't up to snuff. Thanks!
Ive noticed this attitude from a few mechanics and it seems to me they are going by the general rule of thumb for gasoline motors. You have to change all kinds of things like pistons and what not for gas. These diesel IDIs will take a straight bolt on from places like Hypermax which incidently has max goodies for our 7.3 Navistar IDI diesels. It dosent mean there is no work involved but its nothing like a gasoline turbocharging which might as well be a ground up rebuild. Hypermax -Power Stroke Diesel Performance Ford Diesel Power, 5"exhaust, power module, power chip, injectors, intercoolers, turbochargers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.