Glow plugs dont cycle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blowinsmoke4life
Glow plugs dont cycle

jus this week my glow plus havent been cycling and it been cold morning lately and i hav to use either and all i hear is a constant clicking noise in the engine bay wen the keys turnrd forward to cycle the glow plugs. any ideas thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 09:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke4life View Post
jus this week my glow plus havent been cycling and it been cold morning lately and i hav to use either and all i hear is a constant clicking noise in the engine bay wen the keys turnrd forward to cycle the glow plugs. any ideas thanx

I think they are on a timer....it may be bad.

A place I used to work had that prob with one when the timer was replaced prob went away.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 PM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYTONA392005 View Post
I think they are on a timer....it may be bad.

A place I used to work had that prob with one when the timer was replaced prob went away.
I have the same problem right now. I replaced the gpr, glow plugs, and then I had to replace an injector. But I am still having cold start issues.

On the IDI engines I believe there is a glow plug controller that is in a water jacket somewhere. Should be somewhere by the thermostat.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:20 AM

On a 7.3 IDI, if the glow plugs fail, that is what it will do. Get your hands on a ohm meter, and test the glow plugs with the engine cold. They should read less than 1 ohm. If its more than 1 ohm, then they are bad and you have to replace them. Only use Beru or motorcraft glow plugs! Others are known to swell in the head and break off, not good.

Your glow plug relay will be at the back of the passenger side valve cover I'm pretty sure. My controller failed so I wired it up to a momentary on switch in the cab (6.9 controller is known to fail in the on position frying the glow plugs, mine didnt though )
Old 10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Powerstroke Techie

There is no temp sensor for the glow plug controller. it senses engine heat based on resistance of the glow plugs. this is why when one burns out it doesn't work right. check ur glow plugs and the harness for opens. be careful to make sure you don't accidentally make contact with fuel line and get a good reading on a bad plug.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:30 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

ill agree , if the resistance back to the relay is too much then the relay wil just click back and forth as soon as you hit the key
Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM

I had the same problem..... I had 2 wires disconnected off the glowplugs but mu glowplug relay controller was also defective; it's ok now.
Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
On a 7.3 IDI, if the glow plugs fail, that is what it will do. Get your hands on a ohm meter, and test the glow plugs with the engine cold. They should read less than 1 ohm. If its more than 1 ohm, then they are bad and you have to replace them. Only use Beru or motorcraft glow plugs! Others are known to swell in the head and break off, not good.

Your glow plug relay will be at the back of the passenger side valve cover I'm pretty sure. My controller failed so I wired it up to a momentary on switch in the cab (6.9 controller is known to fail in the on position frying the glow plugs, mine didnt though )

You have a "how to" on hooking up the momentary switch? I believe mine is the glow plug controller as well. When you light up the glow plugs, the "wait to start" light is only on for 2-3 seconds and then goes off. This is in 35* weather. I use my block heater at home, but when it sits at work for 8-10 hrs. it is hard to start..
Old 12-29-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRESTROKER View Post
You have a "how to" on hooking up the momentary switch? I believe mine is the glow plug controller as well. When you light up the glow plugs, the "wait to start" light is only on for 2-3 seconds and then goes off. This is in 35* weather. I use my block heater at home, but when it sits at work for 8-10 hrs. it is hard to start..
I will try to walk you through it. First off what year is your truck? I dont know if the 87 on up model years are a little different.

You will need a momentary on toggle switch of some sort, mine is off in the middle an on if you push or pull the switch. You will need a in line fuse holder (parts store) and a 10-15amp fuse for it. Look at the passenger side fender well. If your standing at the front of the truck its right past the battery, and will have two fairly big red cables runnng to it on opposite ends of it, it will then have to small (like 12-14gauge) wires running into the other ends of it.

Towards the engine
-----------------------------Small wire-------------------------

----------Red wire------------------------------Red wire-------Front of
truck
----------------------------Small wire----------------------------
Towards the outside of the fender

Its aranged like that.

Take the small wire towards the outside of the truck off, its supposed to be a purple color but mine was faded and brown. To test that its the right one, take some 12gauge wire, and strip both ends. Put one end on the positive side battery terminal, then put the other end on the post that the wire came off of. You should hear a loud click, that is the glow plug relay applying power to the glow plugs. You might wanna hold it there for good 8 seconds, take it off, and try to start the truck. If it starts up easy than you know your glow plugs are still good.

So then you will have to take some 12 gauge wire and attach it to the positive side battery cable. I crimped on an eye style connection so that I could tighten the nut onto it on that post on the battery cable. Run that to the in line fuse holder. After that run that battery cable into the cab and t your switch. The switches are a little different so you will have to test it out. You should have power going to it, but not coming out when in the off position, and obviously power coming out when its on the on position. Now run the power cable (the one that is hot in the "on" position) back into the engine compartment. Crimp on a fitting so that it will attach to the small little post that the purple wire came off of, and find a nut laying around that will go on it (we have a bunch of coffee cans full of misc. nuts and bolts so I just went through them till I found one).

If your glow plugs are all good, then it should start up good. For 50+ degrees outside use a 8 second glow. For around 32* use around a 10 second glow. And as temps approach 10* on down, you might wanna use a 16 second glow (thats what the relay would do at those temps. If your truck doesnt start after that, wait a minute and give it around a 12 second glow, after the initial 16 second glow I wouldnt go more than 12 seconds for risk of burning the glow plugs).

Its alot simpler when you actually jump into it and do it.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:11 AM

My truck is a '93 IDI 7.3. I'll check it out when I get home..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.