7.3 questions (turbo)? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 questions (turbo)?

correct me if im wrong (don't do pre powerstrokes) but the 7.3 didn't come turbo charged right? how hard would it be to put one on?
any info much appriciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
From 87-92 the 7.3 IDI (pre powerstroke) came only in N/A (naturally aspirated, no turbo). In 93 and 94, you could get the option of a factory turbo IDI.

Is it hard to put one in? No not all that bad. You have to do some clearancing to the firewall, but it isnt something the back yard mechanic cant do. Took me a day with 3 other people to do mine, plus fab up an exhaust, and install the gauges. But we went out for lunch, and went to Napa, so that took out a couple hours to.

And yes, it is totally worth it.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 PM

I'm running a 90 F250 bone stock with 317K on the ticker. It runs like like a clock, gets 20MPG avg and uses maybe 1qt of oil about every 1500 miles. Tranny seems strong but does shift a tad earlier then I would like unless you are leaning fairly hard on the pedal. I have thought about investing in the Banks kit but with the miles on the truck it's a tough pill for me to swallow. The only time the truck seems a tad short on power is when I'm pulling my enclosed 20ft car trailer, weighs in at about 8K pounds when loaded.

Would you be willing to share how much difference you could feel in power & what the approximate cost would be for the install?

Thanx
Old 09-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say that unless you bought it new, its had a rebuild in its lifetime. Sounds like a good solid engine, how is your blowby? You can check by taking the oil fill cap off with the engine idling at operating temp, should have a slit stream of what looks like smoke. Raise the rpm's some to like 900rpm's, and if its all gone then you are good.

My install was 1500 with exhaust, gauges, and a used but rebuilt (rebuilt before sold to me by the guy who actually rebuilt it). He helped me install it with a couple other guys, charged me nothing except lunch .

Lets just say that it has way more balls now than it did before. 0-60 times were cut by a good 3-4 seconds, down to around 12 seconds. Going up one hill I gained 10mph (65mph N/A compared to 75mph turbo'ed)......and the sound alone of that turbo whistle is worth it IMHO. I towed a 4000 pound boat over some mountain passes able to maintain 60mph easy. On wet days (and I live in the NW so I know about them ), I can make a sharp turn in 2nd gear and light up the rears and have my back end slide out. I can do that in 1st gear when dry out, and can break them loose in 2nd when dry like that (but no back end sliding). Trust me it is a totally new beast . I actually have to be careful when driving while its wet, cause once the turbo's spools in 2nd things can get a little interesting.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Hey thanks for the quick reply! I'll try that tip & check the blow by like suggested. Yea I agree bolts & what not support the motor appears to have been apart. I got a great deal on the truck, it was a contractor F250 with a heavy duty utility bed & have slowly been putting it back to original, now has a rust free paint matching bed, with a new liner & tool box. The truck is solid, with just a bit of rust starting on the cab corners. One issue is the 1 ton springs she rides rough without a load on her.

This is the first diesel I've ever owned...I'm hooked!

Hobbs thanks for letting me jump in on your post, hope you didn't mind.

Best regards,

Last edited by crankme69; 09-15-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.