Making a water pump out of a 7.3 NA - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Powerstroke Diesel Enthusiast

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Making a water pump out of a 7.3 NA

Completely random and out of the blue question that I have done little to no research on.

I have an old rotted out econoline with a 7.3 n/a in it, i want to use the engine (or ive been thinking about using the engine) connected to a large voulume water pump. I was planning on using this on my farm to move water around from my mand made ponds and what not.

Anyways what my question is.

- Is this possible?
- Has anyone heard or done anything like this?

I really dont/cant use this engine in the chassis so I was thinking of building a trailer to tow it around on the farm.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2008, 03:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

any thing is possible with your emagination and a little engineeeering adapter plate and alittle time
Old 09-10-2008, 01:00 AM

I don't see why not. You might want to find out what RPM the pump is supposed to run at and have the pump set up accordingly to keep it at that RPM. I don't see why this wouldn't be just like using it for a generator more or less.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:34 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

it can be done, like said before , may have to reduce the gearing from the crank , any water pump wont spin that fast

Last edited by SCUFFY828; 10-07-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Unless you have a REALLY REALLY big pump, you are probably going to have an inefficient setup. The key to keeping your efficiency up is to match the power to the pump. The little black book has the numbers on horsepower requirements/head/pressure. A little math is completely worthwhile here.

The other problem I see is a governor. You can buy a belt driven governor, or an oil pressure controlled governor, but I've never done this. I just did the math for a pto hydraulic system for a type 6 wildland fire truck using a 6bt, and it made enough power at IDLE to run the required 2kpsi@10gpm to run a hydraulic powered fire pump at 100psi@100gpm give or take. I think it was drawing something like 5hp. Not enough to even finish the math. Most pumps using an air cooled engine (especially gas powered) overpower the pump by a factor of almost 2 to 1 to keep the engine from overheating due to duty cycle, so pulling numbers from manufactured products can be quite misleading. They do this because otherwise, the gas engine running full load with a 100% duty cycle would roast in no time.

But if you can run it at idle, or low rpm, and load it up, you fuel efficiency would probably be pretty stellar.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUFFY828 View Post
it can be done, like said before , may have to reduce the gearing from the crank , any water pump wont spin that fast
I have a friend that has a dreged it has a 6-71 detroit running his water pump on it direct coupling. and all of the water pumps in the plant where I work run 3650rpm. I think it will work fine if the pump is big enough
Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 PM

+1. Your problem probably wont be that the pump cant turn that fast. Virtually all turbine and centrifugal pumps turn in excess of 3600 happily. The problem is they don't work well turning slower.

However, piston and roller type pumps cannot turn that fast, and usually are rated in the realms of 1800 or so rpm. These are inappropriate types of pumps for this application anyhow, as they are high pressure low volume type pumps.

To match the load, you likely would benefit from INCREASING the speed from the crank to allow the engine to operate at a lower rpm to save fuel. I'm gonna guess this engine would probably move water at normal trash pump pressure (30 psi or so) in volumes in excess of 8" pipes. Direct drive means BIG BIG pump. You actually might not need a governor, though if you don't need consistent flow. If you are gonna run the plumbing wide open you can probably just set the throttle. But if you need valves opening, and the like, the engine speed will become inconsistent and the engine may race pretty good if the thing runs dry and the load goes away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.