7.3 idi wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 idi wont start

so the other day out on the farm i had an idea to get the ol ford diesel running again. She ran when i put her away. she sat all winter and most of the summer just sitting there with dead batteries.(completely dead) so we figured we would just pull start it to get it going cause we did this last time(5 speed manual). But when we pull her she just turns over and over and over but nothing no smoke popping nothing just dead. so we got out some ether to get it going. she would run off of that but only for a second. so i guess what im asking is that does it need battery power to get it going or what do u think the problem is? we also did put more diesel in it. has 600,000 miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2008, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

what is the shelf life of Diesel fuel?? i am wondering if your rig sat so long, the fuel is bad.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blowinsmoke4life
yeah and your prolly gonna need to bleed the fuel lines to get any air thats in em and change out the fuel filter. and new fuel in it
Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM

and idi's dont like to start without they glow plugs heatin up first but if u said u've started it like that before then i wouldnt worry bout the glow plugsa
Old 08-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Emergency Services

idi no start

The fuel injection pump on your idi has an electric solenoid that shuts the fuel off to the pump. If your batteries are completely dead, the solenoid can't activate and allow fuel to the pump. It shouldn't take much to make it work, just put some jumper cables on it for a few minutes and if the battery will hold any charge at all, it should allow you to pull start it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:16 PM

exactly
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM

DONT USE ETHER ON IT USE WD40 Ethere will burn your glow plugs possibly
Old 08-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well its not like i really care to much about the truck on using ethere. and ya the batteries wont hold any charge at all none what so ever so ill go get some batteries and try it again tomorrow. i think the batteries were good when i put it away but the key was on when i first got back in it. ill charge them and put a load tester on them and let u guys know what happens tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoosedF350 View Post
DONT USE ETHER ON IT USE WD40 Ethere will burn your glow plugs possibly
WD40 used to use a different propellant. For some reason I want to say propane but I'm not sure that that's right. Anyway that's what would allow it to burn and work for starting fluid. However they changed the propellant in it so it doesn't work so good anymore. Ether is OK as long as you use it properly and sparingly. Idealy you want someone cranking it while you shoot short bursts into the intake. When you spray it in the intake then go start it one or two cylenders gets the whole chare of what you sprayed in and that's when you have problems.

As for the nonstarting issue yeah as stated you have to have power to the shut off solenoid. A 9 volt battery might be enough to work the solenoid if you hook it up to it just to try to start it. At least that way you would know if it will run before you spend a bunch of money on batteries.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so i found 2 batteries that were in ok shape on the farm and charged them over night and set them in and put new ends on cause they were in rough shape. turned the keep battery voltage was up, ran the glow plugs twice and let her rip. wow was it a smoke fest for about an hour but after that she cleared up and ran smooth! thanks for the help! ill try and get u guys some pictures of it she has an aluminum flat bed and big muddin tires and its a 4x4 too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.