Injectors.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
7.3L IDI (Non-Powerstroke) Diesels Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the 7.3 Liter In-Direct Injection Navistar engines.

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blowinsmoke4life
Question Injectors....

I was wondering does the 94 turbo idi injectors allow more fuel to be injected than the n/a model injectors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2008, 09:08 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
i think they are all the same , the differences ive seen with idi to turbo idi are pistons wrist pins and conecting rods are beefier in the turbo engines , but inection pump and injectors are the same part number
Old 07-10-2008, 09:14 AM

ook i was jus wonderin because they all hav different injectors codes for example i thing there are g code injectors, e code, and various other letters codes, so it got me thinkin. But neways thanx for the help
Old 07-10-2008, 09:21 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

well lets put it this way , when i go to the parts counter here it only pulls up one number ,there may be a slight difference , im thinking someone that rebuilds them may can tell you more
Old 07-10-2008, 11:10 AM

I'm pretty sure they have the ability to flow more fuel, yes. G code injectors (out of turbo IDI's) also have higher pop off pressures, so in that sense they are better as well (better atomization). There is a difference in IDI injectors.
Old 07-10-2008, 04:36 PM

ok thanx i also found stage 1 injectors for idi's so idk wat i might i'll hav to see i guess
Old 07-10-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowinsmoke4life View Post
ok thanx i also found stage 1 injectors for idi's so idk wat i might i'll hav to see i guess
Not stage 1 injectors from dps-performance though right? I got horor stories about those injectors , not my experience but enough people had it happen to make in a coincidence
Old 07-10-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGuy100 View Post
Not stage 1 injectors from dps-performance though right? I got horor stories about those injectors , not my experience but enough people had it happen to make in a coincidence
actually exactly those, why wat hav u heard?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Emergency Services

Here's a question for you people. I just replaced all 8 injectors on a 94 e-350 van. The old ones were causing excessive black and white smoke. I have never replaced injectors on a road diesel before. I had a tractor with a similar problem, which is why I thought to replace them on the van. Now it only smokes during warm-up. After that, there is the slightest hint of smoke when you accelerate hard. No problem there, it is a non-turbo after all. THe problem I have been having is that it won't go over 70mph any more. Also the acceleration after, say 45mph, is very poor.

I am wondering if my injection pump is shot? The truck has 140k miles on it. I bought it with 70K on it last year. It did have new injectors installed in '01. They had little rubber bands saying something like "reman. 2001" or something on them. In the first 14 years, it got 70k miles, and then in the last year, it was doubled to 140k.

I was wondering if perhaps the pump is not building the same pressure that a freshly rebuilt one would be. With new injectors that are not "stuck open", it can't cut the mustard any more? Could I help it along (or finish it's life) by "turning up" the pump? The injectors that I installed were of the parts-store variety, nothing special or exotic. They came from Orielly's Auto Parts (BWD brand remans), in case that might be able to help clarify my problem.

Thanks..

Eli Benson

Last edited by elibenson; 07-11-2008 at 09:40 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 07-12-2008, 08:04 AM

Okay, as far as dps-performance. They have horrible customer service, I mean bad. I know 10+ guys who said they will never buy from them again because it was so hard to get ahold of them. I also know guys who bought stuff from them, something was wrong with it, so they tried to return them, but the owner would never answer.

All they do to the injectors is increase the size of the holes on the injector tip. Yes they flow more fuel, but the spray pattern goes to crap. They litterally piss fuel in streams. I know one guy who bought there stage 1's. He put them in, his truck smoked like crazy (kinda a good thing ), got horrible fuel economy, and ran really rough. He pulled them and had them tested, and technically 7 of them failed the spray pattern test they were so bad. He tried to get ahold of dps to return them, never got ahold, and they sit in his garage to this day.

If only 1 or 2 guys had problems with them, I would say go for it, but the fact that I know 10+ guys all with similar problems.....that just leads me to not buy any of their products.

Now as far as elibeson is concerned. If the IP is stock, it might be time to replace. IP life spans are around 100K miles. When you put in the new injectors, they had a higher pop off to when they inject the fuel. With an older pump, it would take longer to build up the pressure, so your truck is now running retarded in timing. Advance the timing on the IP by about a dime's width, that should get your performance back. Or you could get a new IP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.